Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second question...

Default Second question...

I have one of the plastic Craftsman tool kits that hold multiple sockets, wrenches, and screwdrivers that has become worn to the point that it doesn't hold the tools well. (If I pick it up and carry it by the handle; half the sockets are jumbled up when I open it again)
    So I was thinking of making a tool organizer out of mdf that would fit into my tool box. I envision it to be very close to the one that I have from the plastic but maybe a little more space between the tools. It would sit inside the toolbox drawer from edge to edge.
    Anyone done something like that? I would assume that I would just use a 1/4" ball end mill to cut into the mdf to a specific depth and make an outline of the tool...

Hi Lex,

While I've never done a tool insert, I've made a number of jigs out of MDF. Not much different. Here's an example of one for holding small jars while engraving them. While tool inserts tend to be rounded to match the socket, for example, I think it might work and be much faster to simply pocket them, if the pockets were sized to prevent them rolling. It should be interesting. Please post your results!

Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ron Sloan

Lex
    I have done this very thing with medical and electronic equipment many times in both foam and wood. I however have never done it for a socket set. My equipment never required that I follow the 3D profile closely on the bottom side and so I just used a flat bottom bit and stepped it for gross dimension changes. Unless you have tons of spare time, this strategy will get you going lots faster. Also if you can plan finger/thumb notches around your tools you might find the tray easier to use.
    Good luck!
    Steve

I like your finger notch idea Steve. If you use a flat bottom mill for the parts sockets (and I agree with you on that suggestion) you could change to a core bit and just slow plunge it in the right spots to get a nicely rounded finger notch.

Default Ron

What you show there is exactly what I want to do for my tools!
    I suppose it will end up a time sink but we'll see how it turns out.

Default Cams in thumbnail picture.

Ron,

Interesting set of cams pictured in your thumbnail. What is their orgin> Kern

Hi Kern,
    I love these clamps. I think they were Shopfox, but if I remember correctly, Grizzly had the same clamp. When you turn the handle, they push both out and down - ensuring your piece is flat to the table. I've never had a piece move, either sliding or rising when clamped with these, I bought them through Amazon, for about $13 each, a long time ago. They have hardened steel jaws and work very well. Since I have T-Track spaced along my table, I can clamp almost anything from the edge, keep it flat and not have to worry about it. They are very low profile, and sit below most of my work - if I go outside the bounds a bit, I still don't hit the clamps. Unfortunately, just searching, I found a similar clap on Amazon for $63!!!

I'll try to find a better price, if anyone is interested...
    Ron Sloan

Take a look at this site, might be just what you are looking for...

http://foamfittools.com/

Default foamfit

That is what I want but not out of foam. We had the ones made from foam at work when converting to the "5S" process. They didn't last four months before the foam was torn up.
    I figure if I do it out of MDF I can carve the sizes in just like the plastic unit.

On the other hand maybe it would give me an excuse to get out the little foundry and cast one out of aluminum. I would have to make some new flasks....Hmm maybe ill make flask patterns on the bot and then cast those as well...

I could just put the plastic in the drawer but it looks so cheesy..Sometimes I hate having ADD:P

Default the cam clamps

On the cam clamps:
    Just got my first Carr Lane "Standard Components for Tooling and Production" Catalog.
    There is an online catalogue www.carrlane.com
    Those heavy duty $60 -$70 clamps are in there, and are used by those scary steel milling guys.
    BUT, look at "Tiny Vise" Edge clamps and Double Edge clamps. At about $12, they deliver plenty of clamping force.
    This particular catalogue is a dream for Botters.
    Of course, as soon as I click "Submit", I'm going to search to see if this is common knowledge among the braintrust of advanced botters.
    Denis O'Regan
    PRSalpha BT48-12
    slowly back to my roots