Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buddy BT48 Alpha table MKIII

Default Buddy BT48 Alpha table MKIII

This thread will be about my new table I am making for my Shopbot Buddy.

I talked about the parts I got it in the other thread, but I will recap here, as to keep things clear if anyone is interested.

The parts consist of:

-3 lengths (72") of 1/4" thick aluminum angle, 1.5" by 2.5"
    -2 lengths of linear rail (2000mm), 16mm diameter, and 4 linear bearings
    -aluminum extrusion from Hubbard CNC, to make up a table 59" long by 56" wide
    -misc bolts and nuts, etc.

First, I cut one of the angles in half - two pcs 36" - and laid out the holes to attach the bearing blocks. 10-32 flat head machine bolts countersunk from behind. Slotted the angle, to allow attachment and vertical adjustment on the side rails of the Buddy.

The linear rails were mounted to the length of aluminum angle, with 10-24 bolts.

After the rails were trial fastened to the sides of the Buddy, and shimmed to make sure that both rails were exactly parallel, and parallel to the powerstick, I sat a section of the table extrusions on the powerstick, and tried moving the powerstick back and forth. Very smooth. This is going to be awesome!

More tomorrow... I have hopes I will be able to dedicate at least a few hours of my day to this job.

AJC

Once the new table is set on the powerstick and new rails, I can bolt everything down. Making sure that the T slots are square to the X axis, and also that everything is in the same plane.

Then I will lower the stock table rollers down a little as they wont be necessary anymore.

Andrew, Although I see it's your usual precision work, I must admit I'm dismayed at the change in your style. You've gone from graceful sweeps and fairings of Maloof to the 90's of Frank Lloyd Wright. I must remind you of a comment made when FLW started making furniture "It is the most UNcomfortable chair I have ever sat upon".
    Although I'm unfamiliar with that species, you've done a wonderful job of grain matching(it MUST be the same tree), I was wondering what finish you plan on using to bring out the "inner beauty"?
    While I admit the blue is a wonderful shade, I wish you would go back to your natural finishes and "Let the wood speak for itself". Very Art Nouveau style, but I'm afraid it would clash with my Craftsman decor.
    I hope your "Angular Period", doesn't last long, as your customer base may be adversely affected.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Andrew.....couple of quick questions......

First of the pics have clarified what you are doing.....good clear pics.

1. The linear bearings.....now I know what they are......very interesting system....I could use them in another application......how did you find them? Who would retail such bearings? I gather they are stainless steel?

2. Having an aluminium table......I gather you are not contemplating having vacuum in the future? If so are you going to cut out inlet holes into the ally deck?

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

So after pretty near a full days work, I am done. And, it seems to work really well!

I started this AM with cutting the angle pc that the bearings were attached to, as I needed to move them inwards 3" on each end, so that when the table was at the extremes, the linear rail didnt fall out of the bearings.

Then, I spent the most time adjusting the angle height to make sure both linear rails were parallel again, and level with the power stick.

Then I started bolting down the pcs - starting in the middle - and makign sure the T slots were alligned with the Y axis (on my stock machine - I didnt move the X and Y axis).

After all bolts were in, I made a few pcs of 1" Baltic birch to extend the ends of the table the full length of the rails.

With the rollers lowered out of the way, the table is super smooth when moved by hand back and forth. No flex at all when pushing down the width of the table (as there shouldnt be with the 1" thick aluminum table supported at both ends and in the center).

I tried a few cuts, and it is awesome. Just so smooth and solid. I also ran a 1/4" aluminum end mill (a carbide one made to cut aluminum) just grazing the surface, to give me the 48" by 48" outline of my work surface.

All in all, it was worth it IMO - but time will tell. But I feel pretty good about spending the time and $$ on this upgrade.

AJC

Quote Originally Posted by Simops View Post
    Andrew.....couple of quick questions......

First of the pics have clarified what you are doing.....good clear pics.

1. The linear bearings.....now I know what they are......very interesting system....I could use them in another application......how did you find them? Who would retail such bearings? I gather they are stainless steel?

2. Having an aluminium table......I gather you are not contemplating having vacuum in the future? If so are you going to cut out inlet holes into the ally deck?

Cheers

I got the linear bearings on ebay. TONS of sellers from China selling these things.. I have bought some before, locally - and much more $$. The steel rails/rod is available in several diameters. I beleive these two 2000mm ended up costing me about $350 Canadian, shipped to me, with the 4 bearings.

YEs when I get the pump I will have to cut the 2" hole(s) for the plumbing up through the table. Wont be much of an issue - there a lot of meat on the bone so to speak. A few holes that size wont change much!

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Andrew, Although I see it's your usual precision work, I must admit I'm dismayed at the change in your style. You've gone from graceful sweeps and fairings of Maloof to the 90's of Frank Lloyd Wright. I must remind you of a comment made when FLW started making furniture "It is the most UNcomfortable chair I have ever sat upon".
    Although I'm unfamiliar with that species, you've done a wonderful job of grain matching(it MUST be the same tree), I was wondering what finish you plan on using to bring out the "inner beauty"?
    While I admit the blue is a wonderful shade, I wish you would go back to your natural finishes and "Let the wood speak for itself". Very Art Nouveau style, but I'm afraid it would clash with my Craftsman decor.
    I hope your "Angular Period", doesn't last long, as your customer base may be adversely affected.
    Yikes... Scott lets just say I dont mind doing this kind of work once and a while but a metal man I woulnt want to be full time. I dont like getting my hands dirty. Wood dust is so clean!

Here is a video of the first cut on the new table. Just cutting the pockets in the end pc of Baltic birch... 1/2" end mill, 12500 rpm, 240 IMP I think cut speed, 1/2" deep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da-kA_gbrkE