Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Buddy BT48 Alpha table MKIII

[QUOTE=Simops;183660] I don't have the humidity issues that hear a lot about on this Forum.../QUOTE]

This summer was typical - not too wet and pretty warm. Yet, humidity was in the 70% to 90% range. In the winter, its under 30%.

We have such a wide range you can see movement weekly, with the worst months being in the spring thaw, and when we start heating in the fall (soon).

Since my aluminum deck doesnt move any more I have forgotten all the hassles I used to have. Mainly on sheet goods.

Now I cut a lot more stuff I never bothered with, and the stuff I used to do a lot of (1/4" and 1/2" ply) with tabs etc just is so much easier without tabbing, and being held down all over, not just along the edges.

I still use clamps for heavier, larger solid wood machining. And for that the aluminum slotted deck is awesome.

Its funny, my mind is always working, and I have since (in my head) redesigned the rails and guides a few different ways. However, since my machine stays very clean (my DC is quite good) the bearings on the linear rails have stayed clean and no issues to date.

I just thought if anyone else had tried something similar I would like to see it.

Just another update.

As it approaches the two year mark, the bearings and rails are working fine - no further issue. I just cleaned and lubricated my rails/rack and every so often I disconnect the drive to the table and make sure its still free and smooth.. it is.

With 13,000+ hits on this thread, I am just wondering if anyone other than Tom has tried to do something other than MDF for their Buddy table?

Just thought I would let you know that your thread is still useful to at least one new guy. I am new to CNC and purchased a Buddy (small size) about a year ago. I'm just a hobbyist not a business so I don't have many hours on the machine but am experiencing table flatness issues. The weather and humidity around here (Virginia) has been awful and the table is not staying flat. Your thread was perfect. I ordered the rails and bearings on eBay yesterday and will be making a table similar to yours. Also raising the gantry at the same time. I have the router attachment, not the fancy spindle, so I'm not sure if I will raise it 1.5" or 3" but it needs to go up.

Thanks for your help,
    Reggie

Reggie, this earlier post describes some of the options for raising the Z height on your machine. The easiest and no cost options are to remove the nibs at the bottom of the router and turn the mounting plate 180 deg. But, as you gain Z height measured from the collet to the table, the mounting plate and spring holders get closer to the table. You just have to keep that in mind and not hit a clamp or the material, etc. http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...Z-height/page2 I hope this will be of some help....joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Porter View Post
    Reggie, this earlier post describes some of the options for raising the Z height on your machine. The easiest and no cost options are to remove the nibs at the bottom of the router and turn the mounting plate 180 deg. But, as you gain Z height measured from the collet to the table, the mounting plate and spring holders get closer to the table. You just have to keep that in mind and not hit a clamp or the material, etc. http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...Z-height/page2 I hope this will be of some help....joe
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...ting-the-Buddy

That is the thread where I raised my gantry 3" by adding another section of extrusion. Based upon Brady's previous thread.

It's awesome. I do a lot of aggressive cutting. No issues with the lift at all.

And no changes to the router/spindle mount.

Default No Dust?

That must be a brand new shopbot, there is not a spec of dust on it! My shopbot has not looked like that in something like ten years! Archaeologists of the future will excavate the sawdust my bot has in every crevice and wonder what sort of religion worshiped this thing and what role it had in the sacrifices D
    "The best thing about building something new is either you succeed or learn something. Its a win-win situation."

--Greg Westbrook

Quote Originally Posted by dana_swift View Post
    That must be a brand new shopbot, there is not a spec of dust on it! My shopbot has not looked like that in something like ten years! Archaeologists of the future will excavate the sawdust my bot has in every crevice and wonder what sort of religion worshiped this thing and what role it had in the sacrifices D
    Lol Dana...

In my 6000 sq foot shop building, I use about 4000 now for the working area and the rest for storage of lumber and sheet stock.

On any given day, I would bet that if you swept the entire shop - including under machinery, around the dust collector, etc - you would get at the most a shovel or perhaps two full of shavings/dust. I run a clean shop. Ive been in operation now at my current location since April 2011, just over 5 years. People who come into the shop cant believe that we actually work there, lol. It just pays to have good dust collection, and most of the hand tools hooked up to working vacs (mainly Festool stuff). I have several Festool sanders, router, saw etc - and three of their vacuums. Well 4 actually as we just purchased the new on site vac in a systainer. Also have a few Mirka sanders which also hook up to the vacs.

It certainly cuts down on airborne dust, which means a lot less mess and less time needed to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajcoholic View Post
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...ting-the-Buddy

That is the thread where I raised my gantry 3" by adding another section of extrusion. Based upon Brady's previous thread.

It's awesome. I do a lot of aggressive cutting. No issues with the lift at all.

And no changes to the router/spindle mount.
    Hi Andrew

We took Brady and your advice and raised it 3 inches. Thanks guys as that advice was absolutely spot on! Had to move the box to the centre and had to fit another cable gland for the indexer due to no spare holes. It did take longer than your half day??? We used 2 x2 x 1/4 alluminium angle on the sides and on the ends and its as strong as.

Thanks for your help guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Buddy BT48 with 6' power stick
    2.2 HSD Spindle
    Aspire 9.5
    6" ShopBot Indexer

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Eustace View Post
    Hi Andrew

We took Brady and your advice and raised it 3 inches. Thanks guys as that advice was absolutely spot on! Had to move the box to the centre and had to fit another cable gland for the indexer due to no spare holes. It did take longer than your half day??? We used 2 x2 x 1/4 alluminium angle on the sides and on the ends and its as strong as.

Thanks for your help guys!

Bob, it is a great mod for sure. I like to place big table legs and newel posts on the machine now and do the work. No shortage of working height for me since the mod. I had enough slack in my cables, so I was OK.

Andrew,

I raised my gantry 3" and was surprised to see that my router still bottoms out on the collet with no bit installed. I was concerned at first that 3" may be too high but apparently there is a bunch of unused Z direction travel. Very easy job and the router access is much improved. Seems to me that ShopBot would do this from the beginning. Next is the bed but the linear bearings haven't arrived yet.

Reggie