Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Buddy BT48 Alpha table MKIII

Hey Andrew if you weren't busy you'd be bored.....it keeps you off the street

The 1.5 x 3" tubing......what is this tubing normally sold as.....where did you source it? Square pressure tubing is not something common.....well I haven't seen it around. And the fittings for square tubing?

Best if luck with all that is happening.

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Quote Originally Posted by Simops View Post
    Hey Andrew if you weren't busy you'd be bored.....it keeps you off the street

The 1.5 x 3" tubing......what is this tubing normally sold as.....where did you source it? Square pressure tubing is not something common.....well I haven't seen it around. And the fittings for square tubing?

Best if luck with all that is happening.

Cheers
    The tubing is just 1/8" wall 6063 aluminum. I got it from an ebay seller, same as the other aluminum parts. Not too many metal shops up here deal with aluminum in special sizes other than plate or rounds. Easier to order it and be done with it.

Again, since the vacuum is about -5 PSI I dont forsee any issues with the aluminum. I will close the end with another pc of plastic or aluminum and silicone seal. Cut an opening in the side that will mount under the table and go through up into the plenum. I think a section of plastic pipe will do the trick.

As for the end the flex vac hose will attach to, I guess Ill make something up. or drill and fit a 2" or 2 1/2" fitting to the side of the tube.

I know everything will work out. I've been through a lot in the 20 yrs Ive been in this business, and my father before me for another 20+ yrs. We've always managed to work things out.

Today, as far as the shop goes with the tools and machinery - the shop is the best we have ever had it. I keep saying "we" even though my dad isn't working with me. But, I still consider it "our" shop and the family business still includes him. I think he is pretty impressed with what I have done in the past 5 years on my own. I've been running the business since 1997, but he was working with me up until late 2009 when I moved and started the new shop.

Yes Andrew your shop is now not only an asset but a legacy!!

I think from memory that Brady used square tubing with his Buddy vac.....but can't find it now......might have been custom made.??

I'll explore this further as I think that is the best way to plumb the moving table....

Cheers

Well, the big (and I mean BIG!) 10HP regen blower/vac showed up today. Looks great. Electrician will be coming to wire it in and get a disconnect & starter installed.

Now, the plumbing is going to be a little "trickier". It seems here in my community of 50,000 people, it is looking like it will be very difficult to source all the parts I need without ordering and waiting 2 to 3 weeks for stuff to come in.

I have ordered a Fuji vac booster/filter to not allow the pump to overheat. It replaces the vac relief valve and is made for this sort of application.

I think I will try and plumb everything with 2" PVC - and use a heavy duty 2" ID spa/pool hose for my flex hose from the pump to the tubing.

I think I will be custom making transitions from the rectangular tubing to the 2" line. I will know better when I get a chance to take a better look at everything.

Ugh, sometimes there is no easy way to do things.

AJC

Well I managed to order some 2" ID reinforced flex hose from one place (with end fittings). Some ball valves from another. And the vacuum booster and filter from another.

Will hunt around town for some 2 1/2 and 2" pipe fittings, the rest I hope I can either machine myself or cobble up from other fittings.

Off on holidays next week. So, hopefully things will come in while Im gone and I can devote some time to it when I return.

OK, I decided to spend most of today plumbing in the machine.

I still do not have my flex hose (I will try some black shopvac hose I have on hand, but I think it will collapse) or the vacuum booster - but everything else is done.

I ran a Y from the intake, two valves (to control the two zones) and then to another Y on each run, and a run with a second valve open to atmosphere up in front of the machine. These valves will allow release of vacuum to allow parts change without turning off the pump.

The most work was the aluminum channel. I strapped and mounted the tubing to the deck with machine screws. I made a hard maple plug for each end and sealed with aluminum silicone. For the hose end, I used a 2" PVC coupler and a short length of pipe that went into the tube, siliconed and strapped for a mechanical support as well.

The trickiest part was drilling the hole through the new aluminum deck - to clear a coupler (that I turned down in length on the lathe) and then a smaller hole in the top of the aluminum tube, that the 2" PVC nipple/coupler feeds into. Last thing I did was silicone the coupler and seal it all around the deck opening.

My plan is, when I make the plenum, to drill two 2 3/8 holes directly over the two couplers embedded into the deck. There will be a short length of 2" pipe, that will be glued into the plenum (maybe sticking out the bottom side 1/4").

WHen I want to use the vac table, the plenum will just sit on the aluminum table and the holes will align with the nipples in the plenum.

All I need to do is screw on the vac booster when it arrives, and put in the flex vac hose - I have the rubber couplers which fit snug around the hose and I will silicone and tighten it to seal.

Hope that I get a chance to complete this in the next few days. Eager to try it out..

And see if this was all worth the time & effort, and cost.

OK, today I didnt do too much, but I cut a 51" by 51" pc of 3/4" MDF for my plenum. Centered it on the table and then used a router with a bearing guided straight bit to cut the holes (2 3/8") that will hold the pcs of PVC pipe.

It should make sense now... the 1" long sections of PVC will get glued into the plenum, and stick down 1/4". They will sit in the siliconed in couplers in the top and seal things up nicely.

I didnt push the pipe down all the way yet.

Tomorrow if I can, I will cut the channels and seal it up with lacquer.

My vacuum booster came in today. The hose was shipped and should be here mid next week!

AJC

Well just breaking for lunch. I got the booster installed this am. Also cut my plenum board. I had to try it without any sealing and with some low quality (flimsy) shop vac hose I had. With the bleeders half open as not to crush the hose, and a sheet of Un-skimmed 3/4 mdf... The holding force on a relatively small pc of melamine or mdf was impressive!!!

This is very promising. I took off the plenum and gave it three coats of lacquer before we left for lunch. After I want to skim on face of the mdf and glue it to the plenum.

More later. Oh yes my real vac hose is due to arrive next Wednesday.

Andrew....remind me again what is the vac booster....pic? And got a pic of your plenum?

Cheers