Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Scanners !! gonna love this !

Sorry I have not been getting post notifications,, need to check that, here are two bust I did, one is David who owns my shop building and the other is Buddy Easler, some of you may remember Buddy from way back in shopbotter archives ( wooden Harley Davidson, lots of topography carves)

these were quick scans done with the sense scanner, anyone who knows these two will see the quick out front likeness is pretty good.. best way to use the sense is to tape it to a win 7 laptop (loves fast computers) I will sell mine and get the new Ipad one soon enough.

I added a pic of david for comparison
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Some Videos

Like Braday said and I agree do not spend any money on this stuff until after some careful research, I have been able to treat it as a hobby and spent a few grand although I came real close to making a 25 k mistake.

this video is a next engine scan and some cleanup using Aspire importing .stl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDGVj4EoQ5o

one of my best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAgiXQ5gg7Y

Scanning tech as a result of the BOOM in 3d printing is becoming better and less expensive, I am really looking to see what the fuel 3d does, I also believe this will only get better for us as time goes on

Ok Ok some of my political stuff !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q_eXX6DFa4

James I applaud your efforts. A couple things i was struck by was the principal wanted "food service" training instead. To me that's preparing you for a life working at McDonalds..rediculous

The thing that i got out of shop class (both wood and metal) was the ability to work with my hands, be artistic, creative, problem solve, use math, (some science) and many other attributes. So it's so much more then building a chair or things that people can't appreciate that goes along with it.

I can take this knowledge anywhere in this country and make a living if i needed to because it applies to things from being a handyman to building fine furniture.
    I believe the schools are setting up our youth for failure because not all are equipped for college.
    I think of us like ants...some are the "queens" and some are protectors and some are worker ants, and the colony can't survive without each of them...so keep up the crusade!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I was hoping to report back here in the past week or two. But, I have been limited to maybe 1 hour with the Sense scanner. And, what I did scan (the arm and crest rail on my maole rocker I did last winter) looked like it was going to turn out really well, but I forgot to save as an .stl file and all I got was unusable data - stupid part on my behalf since the scans took about 5 or 10 minutes each and required some pretty tiring hloding of the scanner & my 17" laptop.

Now, the other thing is the laptop I have (I have two - one that I run my shopbot with and one almost duplicate that I use for design only) is quite slow and without a lot of memory.

I am also looking to get into more design and rendering so after much debate I bit the bullet and ordered a killer fast machine, with the fastest processer you can get in a laptop and 32 gig of memory. I hope the scans will also be faster/easier as my basic machine is very slow and choppy, nothing I witnessed at the McGrew's camp. I do remember James saying the computer has to be fairly up to date. Well, mine should be (not that I know much about computers but the Intel® Core™ i7-4940MX Quad Core Extreme 3.10GHz, 4.0GHz Turbo with the 32 Gig memory is as far as I can tell thing for fast processing and hard core graphics)

I am hoping to get the machine in two weeks - right after I get back from holidays. So, at that time I will make sure I can devote at least a few hours to it and get back to you guys.

I did scan some other stuff like turnings, etc and actually bring them into Aspire. I can see my weakness' will be importing and setting up files in 3D in Aspire, something I have only done once before. It is a learnign curve all around...

Anyhow, will report back the last week of July if everythign goes as planned.

Mr. McGrew, I too applaud your efforts. I seen no reason not to expose our children to the woodworking efforts. I have kids in H.S. and each and every one of their friends has been inspired by my little shop. Kids going into engineering... computer science... or anywhere their hearts lead them are motivated by what these machines can do. Widens their horizons and encourages them to seek higher goals. Thank you for your leadership.

Jeff
    Last edited by jhedlund58; 07-13-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: I may have posted this on wrong thread... oops.. sorry

The trick to photo scanning is to build a turntable for the scanned piece to rest on with markings showing degrees. Set the camera on a tripod and place object on turntable and take a pix and calibrate the software, then shoot away. Usually needs about 30 or so pix to make a clean 3d scan. Main issues are reflectivety of the piece, any transparency of the piece or any voids in the piece. Making a photo booth of sorts really helps with a very neutral background and constant and consistent lighting. I have a couple of the non photo scanners, laser etc, and none of them work as advertised. I have gotten a few good scans but I 'painted' the object flat white first and then scanned it in a completely dark environment. Not an easy solution. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Hey Russ, you mean a table like this? I made this long ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Default Cool turntable!

That's perfect. Should work with even the lowest of the 'camera' scanner software solutions. I have a MakerBot Digitizer and its awful. The Cubify Sense is a little better but lacks the control that using a turntable would give. I have a MatterForm scanner on order and they 'should' ship before the end of the year. A slightly different approach combining a camera and twin lasers. All this with a digital turntable. 5 min scan low res 12 min scan high res. The propaganda scans look promising, no object prep and no special lighting required. As they say 'we shall see'. Having a 'reasonable scanner would be invaluable to my modeling efforts. I am anxious to see what others come up with. I love the turntable that is very cool. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Jim McGrew.....who did you buy your structure sensor thru? The Structure website or some place else? Is it available now?
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------