Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Butcher Block Hex Shape Counter/Desk Top

It's a good idea I made a bar top similar I cut maple into 2" x 2" and walnut into 2" x 4" s then cut them all up to 1/4" thickness then glued them down with a non-water based flooring adhesive and made grout out of saw dust and flooring poly. and never had a issue glue ing them together instead would look great

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    I plead "Not Guilty" on the Ridgid! Jack done it!! Good investment, but thickness sander would be the ticket instead of surfacing
    Bring a chainsaw and some hipwaders if you ever visit. Got an abandoned wild apple orchard on the other side of the brook on the back half of my land. I'd love to use my new saw on apple(Never worked it)
    Nice to see the blossoms, and the deer and Canadian Geese love catching a Buzz off the fermenting apples in the fall(If you've never heard a gaggle of drunk geese at sunset--It's a hoot and a half), but would love to have some in the garage drying. I'd even give you all the standing Poplar you could cut(or one sugar maple) Keep you sanding for months.
    Warm enough for you?
    78F with a gentle seabreeze here.
    Life is tough
    I am still working on our Thanksgiving trip to Boston I would say 80% chance to make it up to Kennebunkport. But I believe the weather won't be that nice then. Also, not sure what TSA would say about a chainsaw in my luggage.

Quote Originally Posted by POPS 64 View Post
    It's a good idea I made a bar top similar I cut maple into 2" x 2" and walnut into 2" x 4" s then cut them all up to 1/4" thickness then glued them down with a non-water based flooring adhesive and made grout out of saw dust and flooring poly. and never had a issue glue ing them together instead would look great
    Thanks Jeff, all looks quite promising. In the meantime I am back to using the band saw. After all I don't need to chop up the whole log at once. I could cut of a 1 foot chunk that I can handle with the chain saw, mount it it on a piece of plywood with PU foam and cut it on the band saw into thin slices. Can't wait to go back home. But wait.....this is my vacation trip

G. , You going to be able to fit a Cat 1 hurricane in Your trip
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

G. ,
    I just had to write-You can forget chainsaw! I've been listening to dead trees falling for 3 days because of T-storm gusts, but was just between cuts in shop when there was a loud "SNAP" and the usual crashing noises---BUT there was no wind?
    Scoped it out and the beavers(during the day?must be the 6" of rain we've gotten) had dropped a 10" diameter Poplar on the far bank of the stream(100').
    I don't need a chainsaw, I just need to convince them apple trees taste better... Oh, Yeah---And how to FETCH
    scott P.
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    G. ,
    I just had to write-You can forget chainsaw! I've been listening to dead trees falling for 3 days because of T-storm gusts, but was just between cuts in shop when there was a loud "SNAP" and the usual crashing noises---BUT there was no wind?
    Scoped it out and the beavers(during the day?must be the 6" of rain we've gotten) had dropped a 10" diameter Poplar on the far bank of the stream(100').
    I don't need a chainsaw, I just need to convince them apple trees taste better... Oh, Yeah---And how to FETCH
    Or trap and skin the beavers? I know that is politically not correct...

Here another question for the community: Assuming I take the oyster shell approach with about 1/8" band sawed and thickness sanded log slices (but all pre-cut on the CNC to precise hexagonal shapes).

I would be concerned that a single 3/4" BB plywood board would still warp with the oyster shell veneer on one side, so I want to glue them onto a 1.5" BB plywood substructure for the table surface, probably with epoxy so that I have ample open time for arranging the veneer plates and vacuum bagging the whole thing. Then possibly continue the veneer pattern around the edges of the table.

Now the question: Should I leave the butcher-blocky (but thin) end grain surface on the top unfinished and just oil it? Or should I just keep going with the epoxy and make a thin pour (might well be that the epoxy from the gluing will bleed through the thin veneer in some places, anyway). FWIW, the juniper is quite hard compared to other softwoods, but this is a our everyday breakfast and dinner table besides a place to prepare food for cooking, i.e. heavily used.

Or any other procedures recommended to put this together?

When we did a couple of end-grain balsa hulls for some sailboats back in the '70's the mold maker was actually using the squeeze-out and bleed to gauge how uniform our roller pressure was. That was a polyester resin though. Ancient history
    scott P.
    Maine

Don't need no stinkin' chainsaw!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott

OK, I know I've got 2 cutting teeth but my chips are too big(.75-3.0"), how many coffee beans do I feed them to reduce chip size and increase efficiency?
    Should I have them concentrate on the standing oak and maple that died when they built the first dam in '08(probably dry rot but maybe some interesting figure?), OR do I have them go for the apple just beyond the stream, OR the big stuff behind Bambi's mother (Do you hook up deer to haul inline,teams, or troika?). Let's see Google Laplanders or call the Santa Hotline....Hmmm
    Just trying to increase my wood supply while reducing costs, so it's KIND of Shopbot related......
    G. recommend you use YOUR set up, The tolerance these guys consider acceptable is atrocious!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine

G. Did you see this one? And can you get ApplePly easier than us?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2vyo_n1xCI

http://appleply.com/art_of_appleply.php

I've got a project(cantilevered monitor/keypad/mouse) for my box coming up. Using 2 layers 3/4 BBPly glued. Have a Thuja Occidentalis beam 4X8 I could slice up and try(just rectangles) with TB2. Planning on Tung-ing to match box. Not in the immediate future though as I've fallen way behind. Sorry for Hijacking and getting silly on you.
    May be politically in correct, but Eugene said the same thing. I personally love having a beaver pond 40' from my back door and get very upset when hunters keep ripping the dams down so they can redirect the deer paths away from the conservation trust land and back onto land they can hunt on.
    Beaver dam JUST out of sight on left of dead tree pic. When I hear them I "Plink" the dead trees(Rather distinctive and un-nerving sound as they can't hear the Dianna rifle ) and they tend to leave rapidly.
    scott P.
    Maine