Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wood hoarders

Quote Originally Posted by genek View Post
    What do you guys do buy wood to look at. The wood I get in is used that week. With the scraps placed for sale.

I can go through 150 bft of lumber in a week.
    I plan out my week or months work and order what I need.
    Eugene,
    I tend to buy wood in at least 200 to 500 board feet mini lifts at a time. I plan my work in blocks of 3 or 4 months - and then make sure I have everything here before I start. But, I also look for deals, and if the price is trending up on species I use regularly (like recently maple and walnut) I order a full lift. I got in almost 1000 bf of hard maple a few months ago. Ill burn through that before the end of the year.

Some stuff like Butternut, is just plain hard to get so I keep a few hundred feet in stock.

I can get most species within a week. But some take 2 to 3 weeks for my supplier to get and then get to me. So I stock a lot of my own wood to have easy and immediate access.

ALso, in the winter months, I have to bring the lumber inside the heated shop for 2 to 3 weeks to aclimatize.

Furniture making is not something where I would buy lumber off the truck and immediately turn into product. Even in the summer I let it sit in the shop for a while to get aclimatized.

Quote Originally Posted by Simops View Post
    Hey Andrew......you sure you didn't just take a pic from a local timber yard
    I live in a city/town of 50,000. I know for a fact no one has a variety of lumber as I do!

Several lumber yards, but besides pine, spruce and some cedar you are out of luck with them.

Hey Andrew.....you could probably open up your timber yard to sell to woodworkers some of the hard to get stuff that's not readily available at the local timber yard......i was up on the Cairns Tablelands (cairns is in Tropical North Queensland) and visited a high-end furniture maker- Artist's studio and he had a section in his gallery stocked with the woods (some beautiful exotic stuff) that he uses for sale as well. Most looked like off-cuts.....getting something for it then throwing away!!!

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table

Just remembered finally to take some inside photos...

Here are my "shorts, off cuts and some special planks of thicker stuff 3" and 4", my stach of curly maple, etc"

We were just breaking for lunch... that is my summer student. He usually eats on the radial arm saw.

One more... another rack of stuff - dry western red cedar and white pine. My soft wood stash

and some sheet stock...

Andrew, Close your eyes!
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Embarrassing It's everywhere.
    scott P.
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Ajcoholic View Post
    Eugene,
    I tend to buy wood in at least 200 to 500 board feet mini lifts at a time. I plan my work in blocks of 3 or 4 months - and then make sure I have everything here before I start. But, I also look for deals, and if the price is trending up on species I use regularly (like recently maple and walnut) I order a full lift. I got in almost 1000 bf of hard maple a few months ago. Ill burn through that before the end of the year.

Some stuff like Butternut, is just plain hard to get so I keep a few hundred feet in stock.

I can get most species within a week. But some take 2 to 3 weeks for my supplier to get and then get to me. So I stock a lot of my own wood to have easy and immediate access.

ALso, in the winter months, I have to bring the lumber inside the heated shop for 2 to 3 weeks to aclimatize.

Furniture making is not something where I would buy lumber off the truck and immediately turn into product. Even in the summer I let it sit in the shop for a while to get aclimatized.
    Andrew you are not a hoarder, Hoarders have every piece of wood. the only thing they throw out is the saw dust and then most are trying to find a way to use or save that. lol...

I have wood set back or saved up also... Where I have been running high production runs to get ready for the Kentucky State Fair, My shop is over run with pieces of wood that I would normally glue up to make cutting boards or chop up for pen turners to use. Most of my products that I make I do not have to let the wood acclimatize to the shop. I am just as bad as the next to bet wood in the shop and hang onto it... I always go through the lumber mill''s cut off bins to see how much wood I can find to make small projects out of.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Scott, if I walked in your shop I'd have to tie you in the corner while I spent a week cleaning it and making shelves.
    I have a 3'x3'x1 1/2' space where I keep scrap. It's a shelf. I only keep enough that I don't need to cut up a board to make shims or jigs or spacers or whatever. I used to keep a garbage can, but it sucked standing on my head looking for what I needed.

I keep 3-'-4' shorts on a high shelf, lots of species, just so I can make a quick panel for whatever I want to do. I have the most awesome Amish sawmill right handy, everything looks like Andrew's shop, it's heated all winter, and I can get what I need any day but Sunday at a great price. I sort of think of his place as my wood pile.

Scott, love to have you build shelves provided you remember anything above 5 feet is inaccessible to me I'd love have someone in just for a day to move everything into drive, sort and organize and replace in orderly fashion. Birdseye on rafters and all my 6/4 cherry in loft is totally unreachable and sheetgoods are vertical behind the 12-16's. It didn't start out that way, but after 3 different crews of carpenters moving stuff wherever, it's what I've got.
    P.S. You don't have to tie me in a corner, Just let the air out of my tires
    scott P.
    Maine