Thread: Too many Variables?

Default Too many Variables?

Recently I was having intermittent problems with my tool change routine.
    I have a "Z" axis with a 1/4" cutter and an "A" axis with a 5mm cutter drilling holes. At the start of cutting, instead of both axis moving to their
    default heights the "A" axis would drill a hole in the sheet. This wouldn't happen all the time depended on the file that the link outputted. Then
    after a recent update, It was starting to complain about variable being
    undefined. I checked the shopbot.ini file (or was it the myvariables.ini file) and yes they were in there and defined. Somewhere I read that there is a 100 variable limit, so I thought
    maybe there were too many being defined at times, depending on the file.
    So I deleted a lot of useless variables out of the shopbot.ini file and also
    copied the variables that were said to be undefined into the tool change
    routine files. And what do you know? Problem solved..

So... maybe there are too many variables being defined? A system limitation that needs to be increased?
    Last edited by erniek; 07-12-2014 at 11:33 AM. Reason: correction

Hey Ernest,
    I too have had an issue on e in a blue moon with my prs alpha ending up with a bad .ini file. It caused erratic behavior. Deleting it solved my issues as well.
    Sincerely,
    Ben Nellenback
    www.stairsmiths.com

"Bodily decay is gloomy in prospect, but of all human contemplations the most abhorrent is body without mind."
    Thomas Jefferson

Hi Ernest,

Don't know what the issue is with the undefined variable, but I imagine it is more likely that something has not been defined for the linker or is not getting defined in the eCab post ... and your repair fixed that.

This is because, in general, the current version of ShopBot allows for up to 1000 user variables. It is unlikely that anyone will ever have too many. You can always do a [UL] to see how many variables have been loaded into the system by my_variables or the ShopBot Settings system. It's usually only about 40-50.

No variables are actually declared by the ShopBot.ini. All lines in this file are ShopBot Commands that set parameters based on your previous settings.

If one ever has a question about whether there may be inappropriate values in this start-up file, the best procedure is to just run a [UR] (Utility Reset) to make sure you've got the correct settings for your tool.

For an ATC tool, where you may have developed some very specific settings for your particular uses, it is best to save your own copy of your preferred settings (use the [US] Command) so you can specifically reset them with [UR].

Ted Hall, ShopBot Tools