Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: linkedin and facebook

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

Default linkedin and facebook

How many of ya'll use either Facebook or Linkedin and is it a benefit or just a hassle ? Pro's and con"s please

Default You pressed a hot button, Gene....

Gene,

You asked for it:
    FACT:
    I filed a formal complaint about Linked In with my State's Attorney's office.
    My Complaint:
    They back-door entered my email account and data mined 96 contacts from my email history.

FACT: LinkedIn claimed I inadvertently uploaded my address book.

My opinion: B.S.!! I have only about a dozen names in my address book. According to a local Internet Technician, the only way it could happen is by clicking an "invitation" link in an email, at which point they could have inserted a trojan/data mining app that scanned my email history, then proudly displayed the list of names and emails, as if I had offered them up freely. (or I gave them my email password and gave them permission to help themselves..)

FACT: In the two years that my account was active, the only thing that happened was a regular stream of "invitations" to link in from other businesses. No requests to actually engage in any form of trade.

Additional food for thought:
    Fully read the user agreement. It's an implied consent type of contract - the minute you log in, you've entered into contract with them, based on their terms. Read further onward - there is a section that lead me to understand they reserve the right to execute any business concepts you've shared / relayed via their system.

Disclaimer:
    This is just my opinion based on my limited, untrained experience, and I may be completely mistaken. You are welcome to give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by gene View Post
    How many of ya'll use either Facebook or Linkedin and is it a benefit or just a hassle ? Pro's and con"s please
    I doubt Linkedin would help you out that much, unless the reps for craft shows are on it and post info on shows. Doubt you'll get much direct business off of it.

Facebook could help you sell direct to consumer, set up a page for your business showing your wares, and a way to contact you or link to an etsy site that you can sell from.

We have a local yard sale facebook page in my area, and some crafters post their wares on it and seem to get a good response, maybe look for something similar in your area.

Facebook would also be good way to let your clients know what shows you'll be off, but mostly if your are aimed at the consumer, not so much the wholesaler.

I have both, got a few job references from linkedin and several more from facebook, more actually from facebook.

I am not a real social media type but exposure helps.

There is a nice browser add on that gets rid of most of the facebook ads and junk http://www.fbpurity.com/

Almost all sites you go to now place cookies or some sort of tracker on your computer. This is how some get caught using clip art, patterns and other products illegally. You have to be very careful what you do anymore. More and more places are tracking what you do and where you go.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Facebook can be useful, LinkedIn is a virus ;-)
    Ken Zey
    Lookout Mercantile / Digital Millwork
    Rogers, AR
    www.CedarSlabSigns.com
    www.lookoutmercantile.com
    www.digitalmillwork.com

6x12 PRS alpha

Cabinets Plus of Augusta, Hephzibah Ga 30815

As for now I don't have either. I get 1 or 2 request to add someone I don't know to my linkedin account that I don't have. I hope others will tell me if they have any use of facebook good or bad. I am not the social type and refuse to be caught up in ANY drama. if I want the world to know everything I do I will make a movie or write a book, neither of which I would give a nickel for. as for my business of woodworking , if it helps sales I am interested in that.

Arrow

I use both. Linked in is more of a professional pedigree site where FB is ... kittens and politics. I know some have made a buck on FB but I only think of it as an entertaining minute or two. Or a place for a rant.

Both sites constantly pry for more info. Linked in says "[he] and [she] have found more contacts by scanning their address book. Click here to try too." FB always asks "do you live here or have you been do you go there?"

Both of these are ignored by me but I do not save my passwords in my browser. So I have inadvertently clicked on the linked in button and when prompted for email password I have canceled out. Its so important to read the text surrounding the buttons. It IS like fighting off a constant interrogation. You must be vigilant.

I have two allies in my browsing battle. Ad Block Plus and Ghostery these two apps speed up my browsing by not loading ads or the crazy social media widgets for every known social media site.

Just my 2¢ as a professional software developer...
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

linkedIn is a nightmare and i get invitations from people i don't know everyday almost. When i see the sender i never open them and just delete. They may have had a good idea on how to link businesses and customers but their sneaky and overbearing tactics i think have turned more people off....
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson