Thread: No Control Box connection

Default No Control Box connection

Hi! This is my first post here and I hope someone will be able to help me.

I bought an old PRT standard with a PC. It was working fine when it was demonstrated. Nothing except the connection to the PC was disconnected for transport.

When starting Shopbot3 I get then message Comm Port Seems OK, but No Connection to Control Box Made (port3).

I am using a USB-Serial converter and it is connected to port3.

I tried wiggling cables, changed serial cable to a brand new one, checked for loose wires and disassembled the E-stop. Nothing seems wrong.

I tried to look at firmware and attempted to do a download, turned off the Control Box for 30sec and then back on. Now the steppers started making sounds, but not moving. The LEDs on the control card randomly flashed as the steppers were engaged. I never received a confirmation that the Firmware had been downloaded and shut it down after an hour of flashing and stepper sounds.

So, although Shopbot3 can't connect there must be some connection.

I am at a loss and not sure what else to try. Can anybody help?

Email Shopbot support , its free and someone checks in on weekends and will help get you going
    ArtCam Pro 9
    VCarve Pro 8

Try typing in a VI Command and look at your Comm Port Number. and make sure that enable steps and output is turned on.
    You can also try pluging in the usb hub to a diffrent usb port on the computer. Iv'e had to do that in the past.
    You can also go into your divice manager on the computer and look for your usb controllers to see if there may be a problem there.

Have you looked at your help manuel? If not it is located C/Program Files/ ShopBot/ShopBot3/Help. There is alot of usefull information there.
    Sincerely,
    Ben Nellenback
    www.stairsmiths.com

"Bodily decay is gloomy in prospect, but of all human contemplations the most abhorrent is body without mind."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for your help.

I tried the VI command and it looks right. Also tried all the ports, but same result. I might have missed it, but I don't seem to be able to find help in the manuals other than what I have tried already.

When I turn the switch from Preview to Move/Cut in the Position window, then the inp row has #2, #3 solid yellow and #4 is doing some kind of flashing. What does that mean?

I have sent an email to Shopbot and hope they have some ideas.

I believe # 4 is emg stop button , might be tripped or set wrong in SB3 norm open or closed

# 2&3 might be limit switch , X Y axis
    ArtCam Pro 9
    VCarve Pro 8

Does this PRT have a USB connection? And if so, is the port that you are using -on the PC computer- in constant communication/have constant connection? Try another port from the PC to the control box?

And yes: ShopBot support is the right way to go on this. They are fantastic and have helped me with three different machines. I now own two (#3 and 4)... and can't tell you how good they are to work with. They are patient and knowledgeable. Keep your patience at hand, and they can get you through most anything. ( Frank helped me rebuild my control box after a lightning strike fried several components... including my USB cable from PC to Control Box)

Chin up. You can do this.

Monty

ok, I got the machine running. At least I can get it to jog around, haven't tried to cut yet.

I found an old PC with a serial port and it hooked right up. I am suspecting that the Serial to USB converter has gone bad. I will get a new one and see if it changes anything. If not, then I will let the old PC have a new life.

On my machine the number 4 light that flashes is a tripped Z. You know the more I think about it, it doesn't sound like you hit the RESET button after you powered up the control box. you should do that, then open up the ShopBot console on your computer. Try that and let us know if it works.
    Sincerely,
    Ben Nellenback
    www.stairsmiths.com

"Bodily decay is gloomy in prospect, but of all human contemplations the most abhorrent is body without mind."
    Thomas Jefferson

Frank from Shopbot suggested that I had the wrong version of the software installed. My machine should use version 3.4.27. I reinstalled it on the new PC and it worked.

So it is not the Serial to USB converter I can blame.
    I didn't pay attention to which version that was installed on the PC, but I reinstalled the program version 3.4.27 and now it seems to work.

I just don't understand how it worked when the seller demonstrated the machine - same pc, same program. Maybe it got hung up somehow.

Thanks for the help!