Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Choo choo

Default Choo choo

So I needed a choo choo. Started building a berkshire 4-6-4. I might switch to a 2-8-4 but I am not decided.

Some in progress pics here:

"Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

"Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley

Joe...
    It looks really cool!
    Just out of curiosity, how much time will you have invested in the choo choo?
    SG

Joe, really nice detail! Scale model? How big is it and what are you going to cut it in? Nice!
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

All I can say Joe is WOW! Can't wait to see what you do with this!

Mike

Absolutely beautiful and detailed!
    Ron Sloan

I have about 20 hours in it. There were a few early do-overs. I thought Russ would be sad that I did that to a train. lol. So DO OVER. There is some artistic license in the model to make it work as a relief. Also, I am concerned that some of the edges are straight up and will not carve well. Adding an overall draft to the model could destroy some detail. However, depending on the final cutter that detail may not translate anyway.

The work dimensions are 48"x16"x~2.5"thick the Loco is 22"x~6.7" I wanted to start with a larger model and hope that when I re-size it has a better chance to maintain a quality.

I could not find a model that pleased me so I started making my own.

This will be cut into mahogany as a memorial for a friends Father.

I have further pics to post as well. Thanks for looking.

This train is like one of the polar express trains.

Also, if anyone wants to know what the craziness that is my work zone looks like in Aspire here it is. You need all these layers, curves and chunks of stuff. Also remember you can render a shape from vectors but no one says you have to use the whole shape. If you get artifacts in the surface from layers below and you can afford to just delete the model below. Do it. You can see in my early pics I deleted the area below the front 10 wheels. That was because the parts of the wheel had artifacts on them from the 'stuff' below. Especially the spoked wheels.

As you can see there is a tender and a passenger car in my mind as well. Those will be easier because they have an implied detail after looking at the Locomotive. wink-wink. The human mind and the wood grain its self will lend elements of detail to the final piece. I also need a track.

One last piece of advice. Save often and make copies of components that are hidden to preserve a particular state.

Joe, Just curious. Is this going to be 2 sided machining or a relief carving like the boat designers do? Very well done! Surprised Russ hasn't seen it yet. Hope your mahogany is a good piece--be a crying shame to lose your details.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Joe, Just curious. Is this going to be 2 sided machining or a relief carving like the boat designers do? Very well done! Surprised Russ hasn't seen it yet. Hope your mahogany is a good piece--be a crying shame to lose your details.
    This is designed purely as a relief. My end goal is a full scene with trees and track. Likely a mountain tunnel.