Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New E P A laws

The stadium was in the 80's, that was when I was a welder in Massachusetts.

I am such a braggart,,,it is really 6.00 a day.

The Government keeps making it more expensive to do business. Here is a link to the new lead requirements for contractors disturbing walls in houses prior to 1978

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...:30.0.1.1.13.3

Exclamation Lets Talk ShopBot...

First of all I am a newbee here on the ShopBot Forum and I would like to share with you my profession. I am a "retired" Environmental Health and Safety Professional located in Northern California. I have been in this profession for the past 40 years and I have studied the regulations prior to 1972. (Richard Nixon was President).....

This Lead Regulation that is quoted is from the GPOACCESS website. This is the Government Printing Office. Before ANY Shopbot owner goes out and spends money to comply with the Lead Standard (Pb) in each state. They need to consult with the local EPA office or an EH&S Professional. I work primarily in California, the state with a HOLLYWOOD ACTOR as the governor. (aka....governator...I will anilate the "bad guys".) The peoples republic of Kalifornia.

The Good News

If a Shopbot owner is working with Lead (Pb). I think that they should look to getting some serious professional help. This help is usually FREE, or at a very low cost. The FIRST place I would look for help is your Insurance Agent. If you have a business based on the ShopBot you should have this EXPENSIVE machine covered for "Fire and Liability Coverages". Ask your agent to get you information on this Lead Regulation (Pb) proposed by the EPA.

Free Help

I would advise you to get as much information as possible before SPENDING a DIME on an EPA regulation.

This regulation has to do with the removal of "finishes" inside of a home.
    How many are using a ShopBot in their "home" ?

I do not have a ShopBot but I was thinking of putting this 48x96PRT unit in my "garage" and mostly working with wood or plastics.

Check out the following websites and "search" on the word "Lead" or "Pb".

www.OSHA.gov Occupational Safety and Health Administration-workplace
    www.CDC.gov Center for Disease Control-drill down to NIOSH this is the National Institute for Occupational Health. This is the "research" arm for OSHA and there are a number of FREE publications on Lead (Pb).
    www.HUD.gov This is the Housing and Urban Development . They have regulations when dealing with Pb in Public Housing Projects.
    www.EPA.gov This is the Environmental Protection Agency. This is a large and confusing site when you search for Pb information.
    www.dir.ca.gov This is the California OSHA regulations on Pb in the work place.

$$$$

Now if any ShopBot users stil want to spend $ 10,000- $15,000 for Pb compliance I will gladly take your money and spend it on MY ShopBot, garage, and computer/software.

Seriously, if anyone has Pb in there ShopBot I will answer ANY question emailed to me, with NO CHARGE (FREE Pb information). But shouldn't this discussion be related to the ShopBot ? (and NOT EPA laws ?)

Thank You,

Neil Tsubota
    Certified Safety Professional
    Registered Environmental Assessor
    Affillate Member of the American Industrial Hygiene Assocation

Neil: Many of us who use Shop-bots in our business are involved in remodelling work as part of that business in residential and/or commercial construction. Therefore the government regulations on Lead remediation in rehab work can be quite relevant.
    Although the regulations regarding dangerous chemicals can seem quite draconian at times, many of them, IMHO, are the direct result of manufacturers ignoring their first hand knowledge of the associated dangers, not posting clear directions for safe use on thier products, and employers, employees, and shop owners not having the desire or ability to search out the info on their own.
    I grew up in the "Sunshine State" and got much of my skills training in the boat industry where styrenes in many forms were used on a daily basis with little regard to their affects.
    Now, in the cabinet business, I see men spraying urea and formaldehyde based products with no masks or gloves as well as improper ventilation, washing their hands in lacquer thinner, and otherwise shortening their lives.
    Having worked in Asbestos remediation projects in the past, I have no trouble imagining why the government is setting standards for dealing with building remodeling in the presence of lead paint. Since a large portion of my work is in health related faciities, some of which were built many years ago, there is no doubt that when old walls are removed there is a good chance that there is lead paint in there somewhere on many occasions.
    Safe removal and disposal of these products IS important.
    Despite the increased costs and challenges involved I applaud the steps being taken by many developers to make their new projects "green" in their choice of materials. Like any new technology, the initial costs are higher but will probably come down in time as the systems are more common.
    Unfortunately, there is definately such a thing as overdoing regulation to the point where smaller businessmen cannot affor to comply. This is the concern initially expressed. Information from an expert such as yourself assisting in this area is much appreciated.

Dave

Default Lead laws

From what I've read the lead laws are quite interesting. They apply not only to things a kid might put in their mouth because it fits (a small wooden toy engine for instance), but to things which are designed for kids to use. For example if anyone has read about the big fight between dirt bike manufacturers and these laws. Kids aren't going to put dirt bike parts in their mouths, but they are restricted in many ways because the wiring, engine parts, bearings etc can contain some degree of lead.

I read an article in a wood magazine which was talking to some shop owners who specialize in hand made wooden toys, and they're scared out of their minds because the burden of proof falls to them. They use all natural finishes...beeswax and the like...but that doesn't really help them because they still need to prove there is no lead.

Not sure what the most up to date info is on this topic, but it makes me want to say the hell with kids anything.