Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Here’s what I’ve been up to lately…

that's "purdy"... or is it "purty"?
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for close-ups Steve--Got it
    LETSSS SEEE! if between the flash and the thunder is 1,052fps then I JUST got HIT!.
    Later
    Scott Plaisted
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 9
    Maine

Both whole house surges are still green, But Landline $14.99 RadioSHack is Fried!
    Glad 'Bot is on UPS and only have to 1 cord to yank and stop spindle for a bit at first thunder.
    No comm loss and have Desktop running(No spindle) and can design while cutting is down.
    PHONE made the WEIRDEST sound at the lightning strike.
    Scott Plaisted
    Maine

Curious, Phone got fried, but NOT wireless Modem?
    Might have been better, as you wouldn't have heard me Yak till the 3'rd of the month
    Scott Plaisted
    Maine

Thumbs up Good Looking!!

That is one good looking product!
    Chadagmsigncompany@gmail.com

very nice job

Let me chime in this is a very nice piece of work. You probably know that I am a big fan of box joints (and dovetails, too ).

For the hinges, did you consider the SOSS conceiled barrel hinges? I tried the 8mm diameter version lately on a box. They are easy to install and work well (so far). Also quite inexpensive in bulk.
    Box Joint, Dovetail, Guilloche and MazeMaker Software Here

Thanks Guys, for the kind words!
    I’m open to another type of hinge for my boxes… Gert, It has been 25 years since I used a SOSS hinge, refresh my memory… Can you get a SOSS in a 90° stop? Almost as long ago, I tried making a wood hinge but had the barrels split across the short grain. Lately I’ve been using a hinge I get at Craft Inc. http://craft-inc.myshopify.com/products/l3237-mini-decorative-hinge In quantity they cost me about a nickel each, and to make it a stop hinge I use an oversize round head screw… Really, for the kind of money I get for my boxes, I should be using a quadrant hinge…
    SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

The barrel hinges open 180 degrees and need a separate stop. The lid leverage would be too great and the hinges may break out when opened too far. I used a skinny piece of chromed chain (the type with the twisted links) pinned to the box and the lid as stop. Looks even quite decorative but not good if you have box inserts like in your example.

SOSS also make quadrant hinges and you can get a pair in brass plated stainless steel I believe for $10-15. But they are of course a pain to mount with a narrow pocket for the stop lever and recess for the hinge itself.

I have made wood hinges too (or tried to) but so far not with great success.This was an attempt of slotting the boards from alternating sides and then inserting an 1/8" brass rod into the channel. But the wood was less than 5/16" thick and too weak. It broke out and I found it did not look good. I ended up using normal metal hinges for this tapered box.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    ....... Almost as long ago, I tried making a wood hinge but had the barrels split across the short grain.....
    This discussion motivated me to give the wood hinges another try. I fitted one of the finger joint boxes with hinges cut from 1/4" bamboo plywood. Could probably have used solid tough hardwood as well. Works quite well but I still need to tighten the fit tolerances and make the hinge dowel invisible. I should not have cut the dowel hole trough for the outer hinge leafs.

I could move the entire hinge inside the box wall but then I would need a fillet along the rear edge of the box lid. I think that would look better and maybe I try that next.