Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Babysitting the machine

I had an "almost fire" tonight. Maybe I am lazy but I wanted to save removing the tabs on a complicated cutout of several smaller pieces with 1/8" EM from 3/4" plywood and left the tabs away. Normally that works for me because the chips pack the narrow slot and hold the pieces in place. However, not tonight. The bit grabbed one of them and pulled it up to the collet. Now it started smoking in seconds and spewing little glowing embers into the dust collector.

Never happened before but fortunately I was nearby and noticed. I shut the machine down, dragged the dust collector bin outside and extinguished the smoldering bits. Whew....

Quote Originally Posted by burkhardt View Post
    i had an "almost fire" tonight. Maybe i am lazy but i wanted to save removing the tabs on a complicated cutout of several smaller pieces with 1/8" em from 3/4" plywood and left the tabs away. Normally that works for me because the chips pack the narrow slot and hold the pieces in place. However, not tonight. The bit grabbed one of them and pulled it up to the collet. Now it started smoking in seconds and spewing little glowing embers into the dust collector.

Never happened before but fortunately i was nearby and noticed. I shut the machine down, dragged the dust collector bin outside and extinguished the smoldering bits. Whew....
    good save!!
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

Too close G.!
    I've been glad twice that Dad ponied up for the steel version of the DustDeputy. Screw once, a Gremlin misplaced a decimal point in zero the second time.
    WHAT!, No Halon 1301 Emergency Dump switch on that Beast of yours?
    Good Catch! And a good caution for Newbies to buy some extra CO2's and keep their Cyclones on casters if size allows.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    .....Good Catch! And a good caution for Newbies to buy some extra CO2's and keep their Cyclones on casters if size allows.
    You bet. I did notice the next fire extinguisher was way too far away. I WILL buy another bigger one and store it next to the machine.

But it was quite a show seeing the stream of sparks flying through the flexible dust collector hose. That whirlwind makes them burn pretty bright and most burned out before they reached the dust collector. The collet and the stump of the broken bit kept rubbing and ripping wood chips out until I shut it down.