Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Off Center

Dick:

See my suggestions below. Please check out what I said before getting into anymore software modifications.
    After that if you still have no joy: Since you "reloaded" SB3, did you reload the same version you had been using or load a newer version?
    If you loaded a newer version (a common suggestion by SB: "You should load our newest control software"), are you sure that you got the firmware updated properly? Frankly, the firmware update system is a little weird and it is easy to think that it was done correctly when in fact it wasn't.
    Reloading in and of itself has caused some folks issues as some files apparently don't always overwrite smoothly or "residue" from older registry files causes problems and it takes an in depth wipe (more than just the usual "delete program" from the control panel software manager) to get it to run correctly again.
    Some versions have had z-zeroing issues with some computers. One user will have no issues at all and another just can't get it to run right. These issues are in various versions of 3.8xx. Supposedly the latest version have fixed this but I'm still somewhat skeptical.
    This really isn't the place to get into the discussion of trying to make the control software run on virtually any computer regardless of op system or version rather than SB just offering an operating computer that works, period, but it is a long standing debate that is regularly discussed elsewhere on the forum.

Dick: Dump the latest software. Re-load your favorite no problem older version. If you don't still have it let me know. I've got a bunch of them stashed.
    Start at the beginning-check all the connections. Your problem was not software, it was hardware.
    Last edited by bleeth; 08-27-2014 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Cross post

Default Control Software

Thanks Dave...I do not have the version I was using before...I wrote the number down, but can't find it!! Pretty sure is was a 3.6 ver...the only thing I did hardware wise was remove the first 2 drivers to get to the faulty 3rd driver...I then just moved the first two down the line so that when I receive the new one I could just have to install that one...they said that they were all alike...other than pulling the motors several times, that's it.
    Dick
    Dick
    Aspire 10.5

Your current issue has nothing to do with the drivers. At this point, until you start "running around the table" I'll assume you did that install correctly. Are you very sure that you didn't disconnect or disturb the accessory leads (prox switches, z-plate leads, e-stop, etc.) When you made that swap out? I know (although I don't remember which ones) there is one position that gets a few different leads put in it's really easy to think it is fine but have one loose and only making an intermittent connection. Being sure the ground wires are tightly screwed in is also an easy one to think is right when it isn't.
    On SB's software download site is 3.6.46. I'm pretty sure this is a very stable version for you. If you have checked out the wiring connections at your control box and still have a z-zero issue then try an uninstall of 3.8 and load this one. Make sure you get rid of all the SB files. On this I am NOT the tech expert on where to find them. It is general info from others I have gotten privately that I'm passing along. When you load the software, make sure you do a firmware update as the 3.8 firmware doesn't play nice with 3.6.

If after you do all this if you still have no joy send me a PM with more direct contact info so we can chat the old fashioned way.

Default Success!!!

I can't thank everyone enough, Jeremy in tech support, local Shopbotters Paul Zank, Todd Shilman and John Limoli, the countless people who contributed to the resolution of this problem. Gene, Steve, Scott S, Scott P, Scott W, Jerry, Monty, Dave, and Todd. This would have been solved quicker if I didn't have a day job...got to work on that! To bad our politicians can't solve problems this way!!

For the record, I deleted SB3 control software both in the control panel and in C/Program Files/shopbot...installed 3.6.44 control software, the firmware etc and did a test cut of a circle, which if you look at the first post was where I had an irregular circle - tonight we had success!!
    Thank you
    Dick Baynes
    Dick
    Aspire 10.5

Yeah!! 10 letters
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine