Thread: Bought an old ShopBot Buddy - Help with Software version needed

Question Bought an old ShopBot Buddy - Help with Software version needed

This is my first shopbot, but not my first cnc equipment.

When I bought it the seller forgot to bring the schematics and software and didn't have the knowledge to pass along.

Which version of the control software do I need to load?

What version of Windows is required by that version of control software?

Which machine setup file do I load?

IMG_20190510_165917112.jpg

IMG_20190510_165929041.jpg

IMG_20190510_165502310.jpg

I'm pretty sure you can use the latest version, 3.8.50. Look on this page and click the tab on the right to see how to verify your version of control card. https://www.shopbottools.com/support/control-software

Machine config to use for a PRS Alpha Buddy 48 would be ShopBot_PRS_BT48alpha.sbd When prompted with a fresh install, load that version or go to Utilities Reset and follow the prompts.

Win 7 or 10 properly set up for cnc usage. Laptops discouraged.
    https://www.shopbottools.com/support/faq/27
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can use the latest version, 3.8.50. Look on this page and click the tab on the right to see how to verify your version of control card. https://www.shopbottools.com/support/control-software
    Thanks for the help and confirmation. I'll try the current software tonight.
    This part is confusing me because the board is a Version 0.8 instead of Version 2xx.

Don't look at the larger board, you need to see what's on the smaller "Controller board" that is standing vertical.
    Scott

Don't look at the larger board, you need to see what's on the smaller "Controller board" that is standing vertical.
    Thanks for this! I have a 201A and I was able to get first the spindle running and then motion on the axis.

I am dealing with a signal on input 4 that prevents movement. I switched it in VN to normal open instead of closed just see if I could get movement. I did get movement, but I have more troubleshooting to do today. Thanks for the help.

Switch#4 STOP Type should be set to Normal Closed Stop. If it doesn't work when set that way, make sure your E-Stop button is reset (twist and popped out). Sometimes the contacts get dirty and don't work and need some contact cleaner and air to get them working again.
    Scott

Switch#4 STOP Type should be set to Normal Closed Stop. If it doesn't work when set that way, make sure your E-Stop button is reset (twist and popped out). Sometimes the contacts get dirty and don't work and need some contact cleaner and air to get them working again.
    E-Stops were popped out. I'll pop them open and clean them out. I was also getting limit errors when trying to do various homing motions. There was a loose wire in the proximity terminals and I am going to test that soon.

Summary:

I'm using the newest control software and found my board version on the small board. On start up I had an estop warning, which was just a finicky switch. So, I'm up and running, kind of... limit switch errors now.