Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser scanner suppliers?

Default Laser scanner suppliers?

I'm looking for some suppliers of laser scanners. Any help or comments on suppliers would help. I'm mostly going to use this equipment in conjuction with restoration and reproduction millwork. Thanks

Try Nextengine at nextengine.com. They work really easy and export to several 3D formats.
    Thanks
    Don

Carl,
    I have a couple scanners. One being a Minolta Vivid Non contact 3d digitizer and do basically thew same thing you want to do. You can get scanners from $2,000 to $50,000.00 then you need specific software to run the scanner and process the resulting file before you can export it to a toolpathing program. You can spend thousands and still get something that ain't worth a darn.
    In a lot of applications you will need to try to copy some crown molding without removing it and i don't believe the nextengine is suitable for that type of application.

I have put my nextengine scanner on a camera mount and scanned all kinds of stuff. It can save a file in STL or OBJ which I think is compatable with ASPIRE. What else would you use to scan crown molding with?

Because of the historical nature of the work we do it is sometimes not possible to remove the millwork. I'll need to be able to take the laser to the site and set it up then do the scaning. I checked out the nextengine it looks good. I'll have to call them to see how portible the unit can be.

Thanks, Carl

Jack, I checked out the Minolta site. The Vivid looks great. No price list on the site. May I ask what it set you back?

Thanks, Carl

You have to ask why no prices?? Because they are waaay too high!! The last time i saw one for sale I think it was $40,000. I don't think it sold.
    The last time I talked to Charlie @ Direct Dimensions he mentioned they may have a used unit for sale.
    http://www.directdimensions.com/ It may be out of the range you're looking to pay but hey it only takes a few minutes to write an email...

WOW. It looks like an old modified large format camera! I'm going to have keep exploring my options. I know I have to spend money to make it. But that a bit steep. I try Charlie. Thanks

Carl,
    Take a look at this scanner. Looks like what you are looking for in portability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8pxHs-w0Qw

Terry

Too bad they don't give you a price....that usually means you can't afford it..but it does look neat.