Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brave New World

Default Brave New World

So, a few days ago I ordered a few ER20 collets, collet nuts and collet wrenches from Precisebits.com for my spindle in the hope of reducing the runout that I find with the cheap China collets that I used so far. It was not too bad, but why not improve. I ordered from the Think and Tinker Precisebits web site and paid with credit card directly (not through PayPal).

Now today I opened www.ebay.com to shop for something totally unrelated but on the very first eBay home page I am suddenly greeted with several dozen offers for ER20 nuts, wrenches and related stuff. What a coincidence. Not that I would not find it interesting but that whole tracking business really annoys me. I don't think I am paranoid yet but it really pi**es me off.

I am only wondering who spilled the beans. The seller, the credit card company or some other intermediary.

Oh well, maybe we better get used to it.

GB

Just posted a note and pics to someone in Oz and mentioned a PTSD US officer.
    Got an ad on g-mail now on how to apply for my free veterans card. 20 minutes!
    Scary.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Hey G,

I am only wondering who spilled the beans.

You know who told them.......YOU! They get it via many means, google searches, ads you click on, emails you respond to

What is dumb is that i may buy something via amazon then i get ads and emails for the same thing i've already purchased. I wish they would figure out i've already bought it and not bother sending those ads......

I had an app running in the background (don't know where it went to) that the icon sat in the top right of the browser and depending on what webpage you were at you could see the trackers attached to that web page that collected data on your movements, purchases, searches of products, ect.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I highly recommend using a program called >Ghostery.com". It shows everyone/everything that is tracking you and lets you choose which one or all to block. It's amazing sometimes how many websites want to track you, unless you see them all you are rarely aware. This forum has zero, which is a rarity. Here is an excerpt from the ghostery home page:

The largest tracker database on the internet, constantly growing
    Ghostery has the largest tracker database available on the web. We meticulously select, profile and cull over 1,900 trackers and 2,200 tracking patterns.

TRACKERS
    Block how you want, when you want
    With Ghostery, you get to choose whether you want to block tracker by tracker, site-by-site, or a mixture of the two. Pause blocking for those moments when you’d like to disable it altogether.
    Jim

96 x 60 PRSalpha, 5HP Colombo spindle, Custom indexer, Custom vacuum table, Custom Fire Extinguishing System

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
    I highly recommend using a program called >Ghostery.com".
    X2 on that & get off FacePlace & LinkedIn. Unless you cater to the general public, no real money comes from either.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

I use Ghostery too. Excellent program that stops all the various trackers dead in their tracks but lets you choose what you want to allow.

It's scary to see how many seemingly innocent looking websites have 20 plus trackers installed.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

I use a program called Maxa Cookie Manager. I purchased new desk computer about turn of last year and installed this program. It allows me to white list websites to allow the setting of cookies. I have white listed about 15 sites. The rest It has settings to accept everything and then purge them all every 15 minutes. Kind of nice all of the websites are fully functional but none of them remain on my computer. It has a little counter, so far 51,561 cookies or web bugs set and then purged. It is staggering what / how corporate America watches our every move, especially in the online electronic world. I will also be looking into the Ghostery program

Ghostery installed. Thanks guys!
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

A good one for blocking this tracking **** while searching is disconnect.
    They have an extension for Firefox and Chrome. Actually saves bandwidth and speeds up browsing. They also have a Disconnect Search, that blocks tracking when you search from Google or most popular search engines.

It can be found, HERE.

Works well, and has an interesting, "Visualize" mode that graphs the tracking sites.

On thing I am hesitant about with Ghostery, is that it is owned by a company that sells data to advertising companies! If you use it, be sure to turn off the GhostRank feature...
    Ron Sloan

It's off by default and if it's on it's not linked to an individual user.
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/