Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brave New World

It must have been Ghostery i was referring to, not sure if i turned it off or what...a big D sat up in the corner and had little dots showing all trackers attached to the website you were visiting.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the links. I guess I need to protect my evil ways better.

As for the specific incident, I am sure I did not google for this item and went directly to the Precisebit web site because I knew where I wanted to buy. But maybe the host of the Precisebit web shop makes some money off the tracking.

I am beginning to believe that my own tailmaker.net web site is tracking me...

Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardt View Post
    Thanks for the links. I guess I need to protect my evil ways better.

As for the specific incident, I am sure I did not google for this item and went directly to the Precisebit web site because I knew where I wanted to buy. But maybe the host of the Precisebit web shop makes some money off the tracking.

I am beginning to believe that my own tailmaker.net web site is tracking me...
    See attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The answers to a lot of questions can be found at http://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBotDocs/ or http://support.vectric.com/

G. TailMaker DOES have 2 AddThis and "ScoreCard Research Beacons"?
    Can't do screenshot like Adrian did
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Think & Tinker / PreciseBits, Palmer Lake CO

Currently looking into this. Looks like PayPal. Thanks for the heads up.
    John Torrez
    Think & Tinker / PreciseBits

I just found out the other day that even if I set up my browser to send websites a "do not track" request, they have zero responsibility to heed it.
    As a result, my guess is that a request would go ignored pretty much 100% of the time.

Ghosting your browser, spoofing, IP forwarding, none it really makes a difference in the long run. There is zero privacy on the internet. It's the cost of having all that info at our fingertips.
    The only reason I even mentioned this stuff is so that you guys won't ever think that your browsing is anonymous. It's not. At some level, it's all recorded. Many times it's redundant to about the Nth power.

I used to worry about the internet privacy thing, now I just use it to my advantage. I let trackers track and I use a predictive service to guess what I'm looking for as I type stuff into my search bar.
    What's truly amazing is that by tracking everything I do, that service throws up "guesses" as I type what I'm going to search.
    The other day I typed the word "How" into my browser. I wanted to know what the distance from the earth to the moon was. (239,000 miles. I got a new telescope.)
    The very first guess, after ONE WORD, was "How many miles is it from the earth to the moon?"
    That one is fresh in my mind, but it happens all the time. How it reads my mind is beyond me. I read a website called io9.com a lot and I loosely watch all the Hubble and NASA stuff that's going on, but it still amazes me how they can figure this stuff out.

I use it to my advantage. It takes no time at all for me to research anything on the internet or to find products because of tracking and predictive services. Plus the ads and links I get are very often something I truly want to read about.
    I think it's pretty cool.

Ya know what wasn't cool? Party Lines. Remember those?
    And the early cordless phones. We used to get to listen to all the drug dealing neighbor kid's conversations back in the early 80's.

Now, if you really want to sweat privacy, here's a neat fact...
    There are 17 cellular towers in the US that are part of no telephone service whatsoever. All capable of intercepting any phone calls within their range, and capable of accessing all routed calls.
    A couple sit right on top of government building, but the rest are just scattered about.
    Big Brother watches hard.
    know he's not watching me very hard, cause if he was, he'd have died of boredom long, long ago.

I totally understand now days it has become a huge problem if you you search anything on social media you start getting annoying ads