Thread: What size vacuum table can this GAST Pump handle?

Default What size vacuum table can this GAST Pump handle?

I picked up this Gast vacuum pump a year or so off of eBay. I am going to start playing around with vacuum hold down for my bot. I want to start with a small removable fixture. Question is how large do you think this pump will hold? Can I get away with a 2'x4'? or does it need to be smaller? Or is this not the right pump at all for what I am trying to do?

I have messed with it with some hold down pucks, and that works well, but I wanted something a little more versatile. Even if I have to build a little 18x24 vacuum insert first I want to make sure I understand and get the process of machining plenum, sealing it, etc before trying to go big.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by signexpress View Post
    I picked up this Gast vacuum pump a year or so off of eBay. I am going to start playing around with vacuum hold down for my bot. I want to start with a small removable fixture. Question is how large do you think this pump will hold? Can I get away with a 2'x4'? or does it need to be smaller? Or is this not the right pump at all for what I am trying to do?

I have messed with it with some hold down pucks, and that works well, but I wanted something a little more versatile. Even if I have to build a little 18x24 vacuum insert first I want to make sure I understand and get the process of machining plenum, sealing it, etc before trying to go big.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Probably not. Or maybe only for airtight plastic machining on a well sealed surface. I have a similarly sized but double piston pump and can use up to four 5"x5" plastic pods and plywood or solid wood. But the vacuum will already drop to 10-15" Hg when using that much surface. For MDF I can barely use more than one such pod.