Thread: Laguna Dust Collection

Default Laguna Dust Collection

My old dust collector doesn't quite suck like it used to. I'm looking at purchasing a 2hp Laguna Cyclone DC. The model im looking at is approx $1650, so fairly pricey. Do any of you guys use Laguna DC? What are your opinions on the best DC system?

I bought the 3HP version 3 or 4 years ago and it really sucks big time. Love it. Only problem I had was last summer a capacitor went out but it was easily replaced though I had to get it from Laguna due to the size and the box it goes in Anything found local was physically too large. When mine first arrived the lid didn't fit the lifters due to a misplaced weld. They were great at replacing the bin lid with another one. At IWF they have since greatly improved how that works.

Most of those are pretty similar. I've used Woodcrafts/shopfox model for years and it has done well. Motor went and they sent me a new one no questions asked. Some of the least expensive ones have plastic impellers-I like steel.

Laguna claims for its 2hp unit “1600 CFM & 14.8”SP” but only 1 micron filtration…
    Those numbers are unrealistic for a 2hp unit. Likely the CFM is without the filter and if the SP isn’t a total misprint, it’s instantaneous after a total blockage…
    I don’t trust people who make unrealistic claims….

For about the same money,
    http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=XXV030139H&CatId={883C6AA7-4C85-49FD-9EEA-C51D09DC8B19}
    This is 1105 CFM @ 3.3 SP
    Plus this is HEPA rated to .3-.5 micron…When you cut MDF that .5-.7 difference is a lot!
    My 2¢ for free!
    SG

Steve is right on.
    We get got a V-1500 with HEPA and it rocks and it is only 110v so you can plug it in anywhere.
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

You may not need a new one. Check the dust collection bags and if necessary, turn them inside out and use an air gun to clean them. (Don't try that in the shop!!)

Also check the impeller and make sure stuff isn't hanging on the blades. Use an air gun to clean them.

Another thing to check is the inline guard at the intake of the dust collector.

Paul Z

Paul, I have got a new filter bag, looked for blockages and checked everything i could and still very little suction. My DC is about 5 or 6yrs old and is a 1hp Craftex that i payed $150 for. So i think its time for a new and improved one Plus i've been working a ton this year and kinda want a new toy I don't have to many options for a new DC around Edmonton AB, Canada. We have locally BusyBee Tools and a Canadian Wood Worker store. CWW carries Laguna and General, the General products they carry are well out of my price range as a hobbiest. Busy Bee carries their Craftex brand locally, and i don't want to go down that road again. I prefer not to ship one in from the States as i can buy one locally and put the shipping money/exchange towards the vac. But if the reviews on the Laguna DCs aren't very good then perhaps i should look harder at a different option. I'm definatly not against the Oneida i just don't have a dealer locally.

Onieda ships. I have their dust gorilla. I can't let children, puppies or kittens in my shop. Easy to empty and the cyclone is as efficient as they say, I empty a small pan of mdf dust once every couple of months. I empty the 35 gallon drum under the cyclone once or twice a week.

D

Tyler…
    I understand your desire to buy local, but remember, when you buy local there’s still shipping charges, they’re just built into the pricing! My Oneida was shipped from New York… Almost as far as it would be for you. Since 06’ no mechanical issues. My biggest problem has been my fault for not emptying before the cyclone filled up and even overflowed into the filter and still sucked just the same!
    FYI. Oneida lists Busy Bee as one of its international resellers…
    SG
    http://www.oneida-air.com/static.asp?htmltemplate=static/international.html