Thread: Northern Neck Virginia

Default Northern Neck Virginia

Ready to take the plunge with a Shopbot
    The practical side doesn't phase me/CNC does
    It would be helpful to be guided in all aspects by an experienced user
    Thank you
    SK

Welcome. There is all sort of help here, from the search feature to see what been done, to all levels of live input from the uses here. I can assure you there is little that gets past this group. From the little things to stuff that will make you head hurt.
    Details will help us help you and we all love pictures of what you are doing.

Which machine are you buying?

You will find that the CNC part is the least of your concerns. The machine WILL hose you from time to time- but it is because it will only do what you tell it to- and you will overlook some minor aspect- and it will cost you materials or a bit or something. It is pretty much a straight forward deal and will serve you well.

Stuart,
    I am in Charlottesville, i have a 5x10 shopbot with an indexer capable of making 8' long columns so it's a monster. I've had a Shopbot since 2006 (can't believe i've known some of you knuckleheads for 8 years!)

I'd be willing to give you a tour of the bot and show you all you need to know. Believe me, if i can master it, you should have no problem you can email me direct at myxpykalix@hotmail.com
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Default Greenhorn

Thank you all for your generosity of spirit
    Frankly I have no idea what machine best suits my needs the same applies to the control side of the equation
    I narrowed my focus to ShopBot, judging by the response both from this forum and ShopBot it seems like a wise move
    Having made the tough decision to give up riding and sell my motorcycle I would like to put the funds to good use
    SK

Well you can't make money on a motorcycle....and you can't ride a Shopbot sounds like a dilema to me!
    I emailed you back send me your phone number....
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I'm right here in Smithfield if thats closer and easier for you I have a 4x8 a destop and a Handibot if you want to come by and take the experience in at a closer distance !!!

Angus

Stuart, I would definitely take someone up on their kind offer! I wish I had when I started a year ago, it would have saved me months probably and I wouldn't have been quite so apprehensive as I'd never done anything remotely like this before. I gave a crash course to Kirk at our second Desktop----He hit the ground running STILL haven't met another 'Botter in person, and know I'm poorer for it.
    Welcome
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Default White Stone VA

Quote Originally Posted by angus_hines View Post
    I'm right here in Smithfield if thats closer and easier for you I have a 4x8 a destop and a Handibot if you want to come by and take the experience in at a closer distance !!!

Angus
    Angus
    I sent you a PM a few days ago
    Thank you
    Stuart