Thread: Help replacing Z motor pinion on PRT Alpha

Default Help replacing Z motor pinion on PRT Alpha

Hi guys,

So I've finally gotten around to replacing the pinions (long overdue) on my PRT Alpha machine recently. The X and Y pinions weren't bad at all to replace, but the Z I haven't a clue as to where to start to dissect it. I checked my manual a few times for a replacement section but no luck. The bottom motor bolt appears to be very difficult to access. Does the whole spindle have to be removed?

Thanks in advance,
    Andrew

First, determine if it needs to be replaced. Unless you are doing a lot of 3D cutting, chances are it might be OK - provided it is not 100% dry.

The easiest way is to remove the stop bolt on the back of the Z so that you can drop the Z with spindle attached out the bottom or remove the spring perch at the bottom of the t-rail and pull it out the top. This avoids the need to fiddle with v-rollers and motor placement...although some adjustment may be necessary.

The stop bolt is 3/8" (use 9/16" wrench)

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Thank you Brady! I will take a hard look at the gear before I go any further. My z has been pretty much on point with depth, etc so I wasn't experiencing any issues. Since I had ordered all 4 gears I figured I'd replace but I can do it a bit later I suppose. The machine gets used at most maybe 3-4 hours a week with hobby use. Most of the time it's just running a small project for a few cuts each weekend. I have yet to do any 3d work.

Turn on the control box and grab the Z - move it up & down (by hand) to check for feel/sound of slop. You can also visually inspect the pinion by standing on the spoilboard and look down the T-rail. Inspection will tell you what you need or need not, to do.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    Turn on the control box and grab the Z - move it up & down (by hand) to check for feel/sound of slop. You can also visually inspect the pinion by standing on the spoilboard and look down the T-rail. Inspection will tell you what you need or need not, to do.

-B
    Thanks Brady. Everything checks out OK, so I will leave it alone for now.