Thread: sign making bits

Default sign making bits

I was looking around on the forum and couldn't find the info I was looking for so I will just ask the question. I have had some request to make a few signs and was just wondering what bits I should have for the machine and what sizes, I'm looking to put an order in.

90 degree 1/2" or 1"
    120 degree
    60 degree

I guess I'm looking to see what would be a good range of bits to have for sign making.

Thanks

Ryan,

What types of signs are you interested in making? This will determine the bits that you will need.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Ryan…
    Asking for bit preferences is like talking religion and politics around here! But here goes!
    For messing around trying stuff out:
    http://www.magnate.net/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PG117
    Magnate bits are less expensive than many others and there is a penalty to pay… Often the angles are off just a tiny bit. This will result in slight “water” marks as the bit steps down. You can avoid this issue by buying bits wide enough to cut the entire width (but not necessarily in one pass).

I really like the CMT laser point 60° bits they have the sharpest point of any that I’ve tried! They are available on Amazon.
    If a bit is available with a ½” shank, always go with that option with v- bits.
    SG

Don
    Mainly out of wood, just looking at what would be the best sizes to have on hand.

Ryan

60, 90, 120 v-bits - The largest diameters you can find.

1/16 thru 1/2" solid carbide end mills (upcut by nature) - 2 flute only - get collets appropriate for your spindle/router. I'd have 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2" on hand.

1/4, 3/8 & 1/2" 2-flute down cutting spiral bits to eliminate top edge tear out

1/16" thru 3/8" single flute spiral-O (via Onsrud or Harvey Tool) for plastic and non-ferrous metals when you get there...

That should get you going...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by bradywatson View Post
    60, 90, 120 v-bits - The largest diameters you can find.

1/16 thru 1/2" solid carbide end mills (upcut by nature) - 2 flute only - get collets appropriate for your spindle/router. I'd have 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2" on hand.

1/4, 3/8 & 1/2" 2-flute down cutting spiral bits to eliminate top edge tear out

1/16" thru 3/8" single flute spiral-O (via Onsrud or Harvey Tool) for plastic and non-ferrous metals when you get there...

That should get you going...

-B
    The only thing I would add to Bradys VERY complete list is a 1/4" compression (or 3/8" for thicker material). A compression bit, if you are not familiar, up cuts on the bottom and down cuts on the top, providing a shearing cut top and bottom, eliminating chip out. Mainly used in plywood and composites, but also works well in solid wood.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Perfect...thanks everyone.