Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping in touch.

Default Keeping in touch.

I would like to keep in touch with Bill Palumbo but don't have his latest address or email to contact him.

Would someone forward me his contact information.
    jcrumley1@cox.net

Here's one of my latest projects. There are two of these at the ranch entrance.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really Nice Joe,
    What really caught my non-sign person eye was how Rugged it was, and next, How Thick the wood was and the extra attention(sand blasting?) on the top piece(especially the knot and fissure crack). But then again I'm a wood person.
    Your "Gold" Gold up top? What about the bottom? Nice foundation and set up for it!
    For the first time I "Get" the importance of Kerning/spacing/Font style you guys have been talking about. Before I got only the most glaring of the mistakes, but with contrasting inlay it hit me in the face. Never having painted anything here in the shop and only Vcarving with natural finishes, it never really stuck out as much. Thanks.
    Top notch job from my unskilled eye. I'm sure the more I knew, the more I'd admire it.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Thanks for posting Joe… Fantastic as always! Your work gives me something to aspire to.
    SG

Thanks fellows. Aw Shucks it's all in a days chores.

For those interested the main panels is make from old wood. Sometimes it makes no since to labor over making new wood look old. On these panels I used both aged rough cedar and discarded yellow pine found around some old barns.

As a sandblast resist 1/4" PVC has become my favorite material. It's excellent from the standpoint a person can send the blasting out to any crude blasting company without the worry of mask failure. I look for the worst blasters in the business. They work cheap and fast.

The panels are soaked with Sikkens Dark Mahogany stain and the posts are coated with Sikkens natural cedar.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've never thought about using reclaimed wood .Makes perfect sense the wood is proven exterior
    Looks great the wood really adds a different element

Check your e-mail Joe.

Thanks for posting pictures of the process Joe, Totally different than I thought and nice to see the phases.
    Have you ever used Eastern White "Cedar" (I know its not cedar, but abundant and available here in Maine) in any exterior signs? I know to use as close to vertical grain as I can get, and to try for all heartwood, But nothing about which Sikkens I should try first. Wondering how they held up over the years?
    Thanks again for all the tips and fine examples of premium signs over the years.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Joe, that is a really nice sign. I love the rustic look. Did you do the stone work as well? I'm just curious, have you ever tried the Sikkens Cetol SRD Waterborne exterior finish? I'm curious as to how well it holds up compared to the oil based finishes.

I want to make a sign for my place. What did you sandblast? Are all the letters cut out different and then stacked? Do you hand paint. Sorry all the questions, but in my defense, you inadvertently screwed me over when I showed my wife and she said that's what I want you to make us.

Quote Originally Posted by Stockbub4 View Post
    I want to make a sign for my place. What did you sandblast? Are all the letters cut out different and then stacked? Do you hand paint. Sorry all the questions, but in my defense, you inadvertently screwed me over when I showed my wife and she said that's what I want you to make us.
    here's a link for you Martin...http://www.normansignco.com/

...the hobby group users. They've come out of the walls with no intent of ever making a living and only want to play around. There's lots of retirees who need to find something to do with their spare time. So they buy or make a router. http://www.3dsignforum.com/index.php?topic=1150.0
    Vector Studio 22