Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: burned signs

Default burned signs

these burned signs were interesting lucky my customer just brought me the blanks already burned. but they are not square or flat so I made a rectangle jig and used shims to make sure it did not move and did not rock. I used a 5/32 downcut bit to cut it and had to guess on depth too it is a two sided sign. I had them use the fix rot epoxy to soak in and lock all the charcoal in place. the last one is just black sintra I thought looked cool.

Quote Originally Posted by knight_toolworks View Post
    ........the last one is just black sintra I thought looked cool......
    If you like such design, search for "scherenschnitt" in Google Images.

A lot of this kind of art is 100 or 200 years old and all copyright has expired (you can limit the search to "licensed for reuse") and was popular back then in Germany and Switzerland (and with the Pennsylvania Dutch). They used to be cut with scissors from black paper and may make pretty inlays. This is how you do it without CNC.

Thanks Steve, Just started playing with my propane torch(1.25" "brush" oxidizing flame head I bought years ago to solder the copper flashing that runs full horizontal on exterior of house) on "Plain Vanilla" Sugar Maple, and Just getting fond of the "perfect Marshmallow" deep caramel color. You can get it almost "Black" and it still won't transfer the black to your fingertip. Haven't carved yet though, but nice to see the contrast works like I thought it would.
    G., Thanks for that search, some of that style would work great with this!
    Also perfect for inlays
    ALSO, time to resurrect our attempts on Springerle cookie molds now!! Thanks a bunch
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I wanted to find out how they burned the wood it is pretty deep in places. messy to handle too.
    I love the link I will make one of those as a sample in my shop.

Steve, when we were kids(and complaining about our low allowances-I was about 12) Dad had us make Decoupage boards to sell. The first step was to char the wood like in your first pics. Dad had an old brass gasoline? blowtorch, the kind where you filled the cup under the head with gas and then lit it and it preheated the head and pressurized it at the same time. Our pine came out looking like those pics and then we wire brushed and sanded.
    Last time Dad was here, we played with eliminating Maple fuzzies and giving the wood a little "Character" at the same time(Needs work), and were just barely touching it with the flame set pretty low and no carbon transfer to our clean fingertips.
    Dad wanted to pursue it, and then saw this thread, so it Kinda counts as Work
    Just a TurboTorch hitched to a propane tank slightly larger than a BBQ tank. TurboTorch is a model T-6 LPG-JT with regulator model R-LP. Used it for weeks straight when doing copper flashing, and have played with silver and gold smelting over the years and love it for tons of stuff.
    #'s stand for seconds of direct/steady flame exposure set at a medium/low(sorry no pressure gauge) on a Sugar Maple rip. Tried to leave left original, right sided sanded to 220G, touched a $2.69 3" coarse wire wheel to the more Burnt ones. Took lots of pics.
    Groove is just a small palm veiner for contrast.
    Got to go and buy impact wrench/Allen sockets/welding rod now
    Thanks for the idea of playing with wood/fire instead of trammelling
    What could we use instead of "fix rot epoxy"?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine

I use fire a lot on my carvings and signs great way to soften the hard edges and add color.

Brian, What kind of flame and head is that!!! Mine's pure blue with NO yellow, but love your results.
    scott P.
    Maine

Scott, it is a cheap harbor freight torch with a turbo lever hooked to a bbq tank.

here si the first one al finished.

Steve, Found that interesting simply by the 24 Trackers attached to the Pic I have now Blocked.
    Thanks, new to this computer stuff.
    Why 1/8" ? Z-discrepancy between top board? Glue' clamping shift? Looks like font was accurate?
    Like the effect, and there are a couple of people interested (Well, besides me).
    Like the "Softening" Brian.
    scott P.
    Maine