Thread: Using PVC

Default Using PVC

For those who are new to PVC;

If a person has been using HDU and makes the change to PVC there may be a little frustration with sanding. This material is much tougher which make it one of my favorites. But that means sanding and glue-up is somewhat different. For the 3d background there's likely to be little rough edges and skews. I use a standard hand held flap wheel to polish them off. You can lean down on the sander without damage to the surface. Remember this material is tough and can stand some muscle. I like the flap sander for strait line coves also. On the edges, which can be a little textured, I like using cabinet scraper.

On the photo below you may notice a textured edge. This is done with PB's crack filler.

PVC "Gorilla Glue" is a friendly adhesive. Be sure to get the one without the purple color. This isn't anything like GG for sign foam.

The good old DA with 200p gets surfaces ready for just about any exterior paint.

Joe, as I have never done anything like this but would like to be able to once I am more comfortable with skills, would you please explain a few things?

PB's crack filler??
    DA ??

What toolpath do you use for the woodgrain effect?

Any advise on quoted cost vs size ?

Thanks for any help you are willing to provide.
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

Joe...
    I’ll save Joe C. some time where I can…
    http://precisionboard.com/products/primers-fillers/
    PB= Precision Board… a HDU manufacturer (high density urethane)
    DA= dual action. As in a sander that spins around multiple centers to prevent swirls… an auto body term.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_orbital_sander
    SG

Thanks Steve,

PB is definelty did not know about but the sander I do, I have a number of them just didn't recognize "DA"....

Thanks helping. Still looking for some guidance on the quoting of this type of job, the hour rate I have no issues with but don't know how much time would be involved in this size job or the cost of the material. Any help in determining the approx $ to quote would be great. I have been approached in the past for large signs but just wasn't something I was willing/able to do. I still have a full time job (working from home for a large IT company) and can only spend a few hours on weeknights and weekends. I am 64 and getting close to retiring which is why I just purchased a used PRT Alpha. This is my 2nd one (sold the first one in '06 when I relocated to TN) and still fine tuning it and my skills.

Thanks for all you guys do with helping all the others (like me), your advice and knowledge are absolutely wonderful.
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

Thanks boys,

The signs I'm doing now are 2'X8' with wood grain backgrounds. They take approx. 5 hours routing time. The letters are DiBond and inset which makes them more vandal proof. At this time we've finished out approx. eight of them with another sixteen getting to be made.

Even though they are similar, it still takes about the same material costs, same time to route and finish. This means there is no reduction in price.

Pricing is based on $125.00 a square. There's also added costs for inset letters and steel posts. The invoice out at $2,100.00 each.

Over the past year I've reduced my paint selection for this kind of work to DTM's of any brand.

You actually don't need to have a full 3D program for this kind of work. By purchasing a wood grain file you can machine it with the cheap little $150 ArtCam Express program.

Thanks boys,

The signs I'm doing now are 2'X8' with wood grain backgrounds. This stack is itching to be installed. Each one takes approx. 5 hours routing time. Letters are DiBond and inset which makes them more vandal proof. At this time we've finished out approx. eight with another sixteen to go.

Even though they are similar, it still takes the same material costs, same time to route and finish. This means the price remains the same for each one.

Pricing is based on $125.00 a square. There's also added costs for inset letters and steel posts. They invoice out at $2,100.00 each.

Over the past year I've reduced my paint selection for this kind of work to DTM's of any brand.

You actually don't need to have a full, expensive, 3D program for this kind of work. By purchasing a wood grain file you can machine it with the cheap little $150 ArtCam Express program.
    Attached Images Attached Images