Thread: Router or Spindle?

Default Router or Spindle?

I was all set on getting the spindle as it should last a lot longer than the router and have less runout, but the spindle is 1HP and the router is 2.5HP.

Should I be concerned about the loss in HP?

1hp spindle we have has more Oomph than my 3.25 hp PC plunge by far. More torque at lower speeds and some of my bits in certain woods are finicky in their "Sweet Spot", so much so that a 500 RPM change makes all the difference! Adjustability and low end torque with lower sound levels is worth it for us.
    Always liked this;
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacern View Post
    Horsepower ratings on handheld routers are measured by peak current draw, whereas spindle hp ratings are measured by continuous current draw.
    In other words horsepower ratings of handheld routers (which are essentially consumer items) are determined by the marketing department while the horsepower ratings on spindles (which are typically industrial items) are determined by the engineering department ;-)
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    1hp spindle we have has more Oomph than my 3.25 hp PC plunge by far. More torque at lower speeds and some of my bits in certain woods are finicky in their "Sweet Spot", so much so that a 500 RPM change makes all the difference! Adjustability and low end torque with lower sound levels is worth it for us.
    Always liked this;
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacern View Post
    Horsepower ratings on handheld routers are measured by peak current draw, whereas spindle hp ratings are measured by continuous current draw.
    In other words horsepower ratings of handheld routers (which are essentially consumer items) are determined by the marketing department while the horsepower ratings on spindles (which are typically industrial items) are determined by the engineering department ;-)
    SOLD, on the spindle idea. Thanks Scott!

jon, Wait a little bit for other opinions, as that's just my 2 cents.
    On the other hand, never saw somebody post that they tried a spindle---and went back to router
    scott P.
    Maine

There are several reasons why the spindle is superior.
    1. You have total variable speed and when cutting it does not bog down as a router does. Constant torque.
    2. It is more finely machined so the runout issues with stock routers do not exist and fine cuts like engraving will be cleaner.
    3. It's really quiet. Your bit when cutting more aggresively is noisier.
    4. It will last longer.
    5. It is physically smaller.
    6. If/when it does break down the 1HP spindle is not that expensive to replace.
    7. With the very smooth movements of the Desktop gantry it is going backwards to put a router on it. Kind of like buying a nice Vette with a six in it.

An alternative to a spindle is a Super PID speed control for a router. Gives you PC speed control from 5000-router max, and provides much more low end power than a standard router speed control, as it's closed loop. Bot cheap, and a spindle will still have more power, but it's a viable option.

Jon,

Durability was a huge consideration when we bit the bullet and spent the extra dollars on the spindle. We can't afford to have issues with the machine when we are under a production crunch. Also realizing that some of the run times for projects will run not just for a few hours but potentially DAYS of continuous use, the run of the mill routers are not going to last long. We had to figure on having at least two working routers on hand at all time to ensure we wouldn't be left in a lurch when one went down for repairs. All of that worrying about the "what ifs", extra inventory and the hassle of dealing with service repairs wasn't worth the savings.

Spend the extra bucks now for the peace of mind that when the run time says 16 hours you don't have to wonder if the router is going to make it that long.

Enjoy your machine!!
    Nicholas Traub
    Principal Graphic Designer
    Director of Traveling Exhibitions
    Traub Design Associates, Inc.

ShopBot PRS Standard 48x96
    2.2HP Spindle
    2 - 3.5HP Vacuum/Blowers
    1 - 6" Indexer
    1 - Digitizing Probe
    8 - Pneumatic alignment pistons
    1 - Pneumatic drill
    Grizzly 3HP 220v Cyclone Dust Collection
    Donek Drag Knife
    KentCNC Dust Boot
    Lenovo ThinkPad W510 running Windows 7
    Vectric VCarvePro
    Sketchup 2016
    Fusion 360
    Adobe Creative Suite

Quote Originally Posted by ntraub01 View Post
    Jon,

Durability was a huge consideration when we bit the bullet and spent the extra dollars on the spindle. We can't afford to have issues with the machine when we are under a production crunch.
    Enjoy your machine!!
    I've had an issue with this before printing icing sheets for my wife's bakery business. What stress when your machine goes down at the 11th hour.

Thank you to all your responses, I actually just ordered it with a spindle yesterday and an extra 1/16" bullnose bit and paid $137 extra for expedited shipping. I've never purchased anything for $7,300 except a car and house. I'm making several prototypes and if the business works, well worth it, if it fails, I should be able to sell the shopbot for a $1000-$2000 loss. But i'm sure I'll keep it until I get a bigger shopbot.

Now I gotta read up on initial setup and securing the sheet goods.

I found the quick start guide, http://www.100kschools.org/docs/Desk...StartGuide.pdf

If I saw this before I ordered it, I would have ordered it sooner. That guide is so good, great pictures, easy to follow, I can't wait to play with it TOMORROW!!!

Jon, did you order an 1/8" collet? Everything below .125" diameter in a bit uses it! Absolutely great machine for proto's. If anything goes wrong---You KNOW it's YOUR fault
    Congratulations! Do as many Shopbot and Vectric tutorials as you can(probably a "slow boat to China and back" would have been better
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine