Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit Chatter on xy moves only

Default Bit Chatter on xy moves only

Hi,

I have just gotten my Shopbot setup and running finally (bought a used 2004 PRT Alpha w/3hp Spindle last month). I was cutting a piece with some really nice curves (move speed 1.0, spindle 13000) using a 1/4" bit and the wood is Bradford Pear. The straight cuts were fine but any curves had chatter and you could feel the chatter on the machine.

Any ideas what would cause this? I've called the tech support team quite a bit lately and figured I would come here first this time.

Thanks for any help.

Joe, is the machine tight with no play? Have you tried shallower/faster passes and played with feed/speed? Some woods even 500RPM and .1IPS makes a big difference for me.
    Have you thought about offsetting VERY slightly and doing a full depth pass to clean up the .015-.02" "skin".
    Just thinking and not caffeinated
    Got pics of problem area. We can do a lot more from a pic.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Scott,

Thanks for replying, I haven't played with that yet but the chip carving has a second cleanup pass. This is a Vintage Wooden Spoon Wall Rack from the project site on Vectric. I just went with their settings and while I have cut a number of straight cuts, I haven't tried anything like this ever.

If your Alpha has the AS911 motors, you are never going to completely get away from some 'edge chatter'. However, dollars to donuts your pinions are probably DRY and WASTED. Those early Alphas had 20 tooth pinions and they don't last very long. Even less if they are not properly greased. Call SB & order (4) 20T pinions & make sure they know the motor model number.

Replace those pinions, grease the racks and tighten each motor turnbuckle only 3.5 turns from being just loose. Then your cut quality should be way better than what you are getting now.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Joe, What depth of pass were you running? Should be able to get a lot cleaner than that.
    It's VERY uniform and one of the full size guys should be able to help more.
    The more info we have the better. Bit/climb cut? etc.
    should be able to get a little more like these. I'd rather the machine cut longer and me sand less, but I'm lazy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine

Oops, Brady with better advise
    scott P.
    Maine

Scott/Brady,

I have just ordered new pinions, glad you mentioned it. I remember John (the seller) mentioning that it might need new ones but they looked good. The rack was very dry when I got it and a layer of rust on the rails so I cleaned it up and lubed them, then ran the exercise file (per Frank) to loosen it up. That helped a good bit and got me through the surface planing. The file I was cutting uses 4 passes so it wasn't a single deep cut. I also set the ramp too.

All of you guys produce really nice work, hope to get to that level. The last shopbot I owned was only used to cut shelves ( I sold 100's of mdf crown molding shelves back then) so we were too busy to get into the really cool stuff. I sold it when my company moved me to TN from Atl , and stayed at the plants 90% of the day. My new position with my company (Hewlett Packard) let's me work from home so i'm not so tired at the end of the day. My shop is 75' from the house and I will be retiring in about 3-4 years so I want to start using this shopbot for more cool things, still it's a play toy right now.

Joe. Try programming your cut out to onion skin depth with an offset allowance of .020" and a climb cut. Use as many passes as you are comfortable with. Finish cut out at full depth with no offset allowance and a conventional cut. you should have a lot less sanding to do.
    Bob