Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up a school

Default Setting up a school

Several on the Shop Bot forum know that Tina and I have decided to build a building where Classes can be taught. We were asked to keep a blog going on our progress. We could have expanded our shop In Pike County Kentucky. However, The shops location is to far off the beaten Path, and is very limited to access and other things to do.

This Past week Tina and I acquired the property that is behind our Home. We Got the Property way below the Market Value (we got it for a song and a dance so to speak).. We have quotes on the building, and are waiting on quotes for the 6" slab of concrete. As soon as those quotes are in we will be posting a Kick Start Page.

I would like all of my friends here on the forum to Let me know what type of classes, what you think should be in the class rooms, (we plan on a large format Monitor and a drop down projection screen. The class as well as the shop area will be heated and cooled.) We are hoping that companies like Shop Bot, Vector Art, Aspire, Art Cam, Sign companies, and others will use the class room and shop to help promote cnc and wood working.

We are open to all suggestions, and welcome Your input.

The location of the new shop and school is close to Many other locations that your family could enjoy while you are taking classes. Just to mention some of the sites that could be used as a vacation: Red River Gorge, Natural Bridge State Park (these are within 15 minutes drive) Fort Boonesborough State Park, Waveland State Park, Old Town Berea, Berea Artisan center, Renfro Valley Ky Folk Art Museum, (these are within 45 minute drive. There are more and other things to do like Elk watching.
    The school will be 45 miles off of I-75, 20 Miles off of I-64 and about 47 Minutes from the Lexington Air Port.

We wanted the Class rooms to be close to attractions that you and your family could do. This way if you are using your vacation time, you and your family can still have a vacation.

Please Give me feed back This is for all of us to learn and to be able to do things.

When I have posted on the Kick Starter site I will let you know and will keep all informed as to the status.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Are you sure you are required to have a 6" slab of concrete for this building? Usually the footers are thicker but the slabs we've poured for houses (which i suspect may be heavier then the type of building you are going to construct...maybe pole barn?) won't nearly be as heavy.

You might want to incorporate a hot water heated floor using solar or one of those woodburning whole house stoves. You may even consider a hot water heated floor over top the concrete in plywood.
    I know when i built my shop i opted for a wood floor because in the winter concrete is like standing on ice cubes and it is harder on your feet standing on it all day.
    Also unless you insulate those pole barns in the winter they are like refrigerators. If someone is going to be coming to a class all day you will want to make them comfortable. good luck
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Gene,

When I built my 40' x 80' shop I used radiant floor heating. The slab is fiberglass reinforced 4" thick (avoid rebar) over 4" pink foam over compacted sand and gravel. I have never had any problems with the floor even with a bunch of heavy equipment on it. Some moves around, most don't. Just make sure they make the floor level and smooth. Power troweling left a nice smooth surface that is real easy to sweep. One guy did a little bit of hand troweling and the floor is rough in that spot and doesn't sweep as easily as the rest.

I used and electric boiler as electricity is only 3.4 cents per KWH. Priced propane but it was much more expensive.

A beauty of radiant is it does not move the dust around like a forced air system. There are already enough forces at working moving dust around. Another plus is your feet stay warm and you only heat about 6' high. No need in heating any higher then that - wasted energy.

I would not do a dedicated wood shop any other way.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

The building is not going to be a Pole building. It is a metal Framed building. Local and state codes require certain thickness, where the building is going to be used for class rooms, I had to meet a Tornado code, which stoped us from doing a pole building. Had we gone for a block building we would have had to put re-bar and pour concrete into the blocks and that was driving the cost way up. The frame work of the building required 6 inch slab. The over all wind requirement was 120 miles per hour. Had I kept my mouth shut when going thru the zoning commission, I could have gotten by with the pole building. Other than the wall that divides the class rooms from the shop area (which will be studded up with 2x4) all the studding for the outside walls will be metal. This type of building requires a crane to set the structure. We had to meet a snow load equal to 4 foot of snow. Even though we have only had one snow that was 3.5 feet. This changed the pitch and the size of the steel being used for the roof.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Quote Originally Posted by dlcw View Post
    Gene,

When I built my 40' x 80' shop I used radiant floor heating. The slab is fiberglass reinforced 4" thick (avoid rebar) over 4" pink foam over compacted sand and gravel. I have never had any problems with the floor even with a bunch of heavy equipment on it. Some moves around, most don't. Just make sure they make the floor level and smooth. Power troweling left a nice smooth surface that is real easy to sweep. One guy did a little bit of hand troweling and the floor is rough in that spot and doesn't sweep as easily as the rest.

I used and electric boiler as electricity is only 3.4 cents per KWH. Priced propane but it was much more expensive.

A beauty of radiant is it does not move the dust around like a forced air system. There are already enough forces at working moving dust around. Another plus is your feet stay warm and you only heat about 6' high. No need in heating any higher then that - wasted energy.

I would not do a dedicated wood shop any other way.
    Don will check in to that. Insurance in this are will not allow any form of wood burning stove even if it is outside. But floor heat sounds good. Why not the re-bar. Both the class rooms and the shop will have air conditioning. I plan on having a slick floor. The floor in the shop was hand troweled and it is hard to get the dust up.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

AKA: Da Train Guy

Quote Originally Posted by chiloquinruss View Post
    Thanks Russ. will look into that.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Eugene:

If I ever got the opportunity to layout my own shop from the ground up I would be sure and start by laying out my complete shop plan in CAD with all major equipment placed to scale. The object is to bury as many electrical, vacuum, and dust runs as I can. Compressor, DC, and CNC hold down pump would be outside the shop area in a sound insulated area. I remeber when Norm did this on This Old many years ago. I would have a wood floor even if code required a slab by raising it on joists and use the space for my runs. Beats the clutter from overhead and the noise levels all to heck. From experience I can tell you the wood floor is so much more pleasant on the feet to spend all day on it is amazing. Insulation for the building is some of the best money you will ever spend. I "over-insulated" my house and my bills are 1/2 to 2/3 what all my neighbors are.

Natural light through high windows and/or skylights also is so much better than all artificial. Depending on the overall height of what you are doing if you put the classes up in a loft you are reducing your footprint and with an 18-20 foot floor to lid distance can still have plenty of useful space under the areas where the classes are and can plan the lower ceiling areas where it wouldn't interfere with stock movement/storage.
    I do have a mental plan of the "retirement" shop" in which we build it first with an apartment upstairs on one end, high ceiling elsewhere, and then start the house!

One of the other Things that we have been working on is to have someone teach classes to the spouses. We just got a Florist to confirm that she will teach Wreaths, and flower arrangements and a ceramic's Teacher that will teach ceramic's... This way the spouse can have something to do if they would like.
    The florist is going to teach her class in her shop, the Ceramic's teacher will teach in the other class room, or in her shop.

One of the major things that Tina wanted me to do with this class was to find ways that the whole family could come, learn and have fun.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Quote Originally Posted by genek View Post
    Don will check in to that. Insurance in this are will not allow any form of wood burning stove even if it is outside. But floor heat sounds good. Why not the re-bar. Both the class rooms and the shop will have air conditioning. I plan on having a slick floor. The floor in the shop was hand troweled and it is hard to get the dust up.
    With fiberglass in the mix, there is no need for the rebar. Besides, the rebar could interfere with the pex tubing used for the radiant floor. Could potentially damage it.

Yeap, I understand the hand trowel and rough floor issue. I can easily sweep my shop floor except the area that was hand troweled. That's a pain in the booty.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.