Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace your radios

Default Replace your radios

Most of you know that I don't post very often, but wanted to share. Friday Sept. 26th I lost my shop and shop-bot to a fire. It destroyed everything in a few minutes.(seemed like forever) The insurance company brought in an independent investigator to find the cause. He determined that it was the radio that comes on with the lights and goes off with the lights. It was old and could have been replaced, but I had to get all of the good out of it. So please, if you have old radios in your shop replace them. It is cheap insurance.

Tried to up load a pic but not sure it worked.
    On the bight side, I will most likely update the shop-bot and other tools.
    I get to plan a new building. It might even start out as clean as Andrews. It will be a miracle if I can keep it that way.

I would like to get some input on a building. I am thinking steel with a wood floor. Would like info on insulation, heating and cooling, and dust collection.

Would like radiant heat, but not sure it will work with a wood floor.

Am thinking about the spray foam insulation.

Would like to run the dust collection in the floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am so sorry to hear about your loss, I would go with the radiant and a steel building. I know there are options to use it in wood floors but would have to research it. I think Spray Foam insulation would burn faster and hotter than fiberglass but you would have to verify that.

I hope that everything works out. Now I need to think about upgrading my insurance policy, been quite awhile since I did that.

WOW, I'm going over ever inch of my operation.
    You have my sympathy for your loss.

dang, sorry for your loss. As long as everyone was safe that's what's important.
    Let us know if there is anything we can help with.
    "Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"

Sorry about your loss. It can be as if you lost an old friend.

I would suggest you rethink putting the dust collection in the floor. If it gets a "good" clog, it may be very difficult to clean out.

Paul Z

I'm really sorry to see this Dave. I'm glad you are OK and not hurt - other than the non-physical parts. I'm glad it wasn't caused by leaving the machine unattended while running the DC or vacuum hold down - although this may be a great time for you 'older folk' to give up 8-track and at least move on to CD

Others should take heed that there have been MANY fires started by leaving the machine unattended - the bit dwells long enough to burn and the vacuum just sucks fire into the entire vac system. It is ugly...know your tool & take nothing for granted.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Sorry to hear about your loss. But it seems you get a chance to start over!

Sorry for your loss , for your money steel building can't be beat , and with were located spray foam can't be beat. My house I got rid of a couple of years ago the shop was divided into two sides one finished drywalled with 6" insulation and when it got hot the metal made it unbearable . The other side we lined the walls with 3" styrofoam like throwaway beer cooler material very inexpensive then sprayed 2" of foam and drywalled . Best money ever spent on the shop no matter how hot it got shop never got over 75 again . Jeff
    Jeff King
    shopbot buddy BT-32
    P/C - 3.25 hp

The things I make may be for others ,
    but how I make them is for me . T. Konovaloff

Yes Joe and Gary, definitely check out your policies and equipment. Seems that policies change over time. I will be doing research for the fire resistance of the foam. I think the foam is the best insulation you can use.

Thanks Paul, million things running through this head. Not all is getting filtered now.

No one was injured in the fire and no fire fighters were hurt. Just exhausted from the heat of fire and gear they have to wear and dragging the heavy hose. First responders everywhere, thank you!!! And thank you Studio-N for the kind offer. Hopefully I will not have to ask for that kind of help.

Brady, I had upgraded from 8 track to cassette. And yes I have been guilty of leaving the shop-bot running while not in the shop, including vacuum and dust collection. Thankfully not this time.

Clean-up started today but already had a lightening delay. Not much done. Maybe later.

Dave, I am so sorry for your loss. But, like you said, you get to start over and put it all together YOUR way. Fire is the one thing that I always worry about in my shop.

As a volunteer firefighter I see all kinds of destruction from fire to businesses, out buildings, houses, cars and numerous other things, not to mention the wildland fires we get all summer.

For all of you who live in a rural area, the best advice I can give as a firefighter is to make sure your access roads are wide and clear for fire apparatus to navigate. If you can afford it, try and have a large open area near the shop that engines and tendors can stage in to fight a fire. Open areas and limited access are this biggest hindrance to firefighters getting to you as fast as they can.

If you live in an urban area, make sure firefighters have unrestricted, easy to navigate, wide paths to your shop in case something like what happened to Dave happens to you. Stopping it at the shop will keep it from becoming a major burn as surrounding structures torch off from radiant heat. Have seen this many time over the years.

Again, Dave, I am so sorry for your loss. Very glad know one was hurt. And yes, firefighting is EXHAUSTING work, especially when it's hot outside, dressed in full turn-out gear with air bottles. A firefighter is hauling around an extra 60lbs of stuff, on their back, while handling a hose that could way as much as 7lbs per foot of length. Most attack lines are about 150-200 feet long. LOTs of weight!
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.