Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 04 prt

Question 04 prt

2004 PRT - is that normally a USB ?

Serial. You have serial in the old PRT control box but can use a serial to usb converting connector to your computer.

The Late 2004 PRT Alpha, starting August 2004 I believe (which I just recently purchased) had the serial to usb converter on the controller.

Thanks Dave, buying one and need to use eCabinets on it - do you know anything about the ecabinets dongle?

Quote Originally Posted by barrowj View Post
    The Late 2004 PRT Alpha, starting August 2004 I believe (which I just recently purchased) had the serial to usb converter on the controller.
    Thanks Joe, this one is standard, need it to cut sheet goods

The dongle plugs into your computer, not the controller. It allows a internet connection with a Thermwood program that takes the output from e-cab, which is in Thermwood language, and converts it to usable code (G) for your Shopbot. Your controller to computer hookup doesn't change. I think you can still download the software for it to look at and there is documentation available. There are several botters (and one notable ex-botter) here who use it regularly and perhaps they will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by bleeth View Post
    The dongle plugs into your computer, not the controller. It allows a internet connection with a Thermwood program that takes the output from e-cab, which is in Thermwood language, and converts it to usable code (G) for your Shopbot. Your controller to computer hookup doesn't change. I think you can still download the software for it to look at and there is documentation available. There are several botters (and one notable ex-botter) here who use it regularly and perhaps they will chime in.
    Awesome, I have downloaded the ecabs to bot software just did not realize the dongle plugs into my design computer. Thanks again

I have the link and the dongle plugged into my computer that runs the bot. I have ecabs on another computer that I use for design. The design computer does not need the dongle or the program the link program.

Just my 2 cents.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by 2006prt View Post
    I have the link and the dongle plugged into my computer that runs the bot. I have ecabs on another computer that I use for design. The design computer does not need the dongle or the program the link program.

Just my 2 cents.

Todd
    Thanks Todd, I thought it was on the bot computer, I may have to add a usb port if I can, we will see when it gets here.

Tim,
    Glad to see you found a bot. My first one was a 2002 PRT. Do your self a favor when you recover from the initial cost and invest the $1500.00 in the upgraded V4G board. It is an easy install and gives you the direct USB connection and makes the machine run so much smoother and nearly twice the speed. I have been out of town several weekends in a row but will be available a lot more after this weekends Aspire user group and would be more than happy to offer any assistance helping you to get going. I don't know anything about the ecabinets link, but have worked through a lot of the standard problems.

Mark