Thread: Cutting Speeds

Default Cutting Speeds

I have a BT48 Buddy with Alpha drives. The machine was purchased in March of this year. What are the maximum machine speeds (MS), not jog speeds for the Alpha drives? I can change the values for cutting speed in ArtCAM but the post processor never lets the MS go above 2.19 in per second. Why is that?

12 IPS cutting, 30 IPS jogging. However, it'll never go 30 on that tool and gearboxes are only rated to 22 IPS. I set mine to 15 on my 60x192. It's plenty fast enough & saves wear & tear on the entire drivetrain.

Not sure what ArtCAM post you are using, but it should respect the numbers you put into the tool database. You can always FE and edit whatever MS values are there and run it.

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Default Cutting Speeds

Thanks for your reply. The machine was purchased early this year and I had some problems arcs. I worked with tech support and got the latest version of the post at that time. The limit of 2.19 has me wondering. I haven't changed versions of ARTCAM. I use Jewelsmith 2013. I'm not sure when the problem came up as I use small conical tooling (1/16 and 1/32) most of the time so cutting speeds are low. I wanted to have specs on the machine before I contacted ArtCAM. Who generates the post processor? I have two different post processors for my machine in ArtCAM. It is the one with the underscore. The other puts too many unneeded indexing moves in for some reason.