Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap China v-bit

Default Cheap China v-bit

Yes I know I should be using good bits but unfortunately right now money is tight and $50 bits are not in my budget... So I had to try the $4 6x22mm 60 degree v-bits from China. Well I have not been impressed with them for v-carving, however I surprised myself today by trying something different. I had a piece of 25 year old red oak that has been sitting up in the rafters of my shop for all these years and I thought maybe I would try and do something with it. I took the smallest piece and made a 3D file of a rose. its 2"x3" and at that size my smallest ball nose (1/8") just did not give any detail. So I thought I wonder if you can do 3D with a v-bit?? Well damn if it did not surprise me. took 10 minutes to run one single finish path with the 6x22mm 60 degree v-bit and turned out pretty damn good. I ran a 1% stepover and 2.5 ipm x, y and Z.

Now seeing that I am so cheap... I have not had much experience, hardly any infact with hardwoods. Is this better finish, (better than anything I have ever done) because of my weird bit selection or because of the density of the oak?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fred

------------------------------------
    Call-Tech Services, Inc Waterford, Mi
    PRTAlpha48x96
    3.25hp PC, 4 Zone Vacuum Table

Thank you to everyone who shares on this forum!
    "I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand"

Same file cut in pine. Maybe people use v-bits for 3D all the time?? I've had my bot for 7 years and things changed after I got it. It sat unused other than cutting wood and plastic panels. Now I'm starting all over again and relearning everything with regards to 3D and inlays. All i had was endmills, so need many types of bits and the good ones are just too much money to practice on and risk destroying them before I get this all figured out again. Figured I had nothing to lose by experimenting. I just replaced my plenum, spoil board and resurfaced my table. Everything is working much better than when I first set it up. I'm getting better everyday now that I have time to spend on it. Its slow progress with the junk bits and scrap wood i'm playing with. I never know if my poor results are from something i did in file creation or the bits and speeds i'm using. I will just keep trying.
    Fred

PRTAlpha48x96

Fred, Glad you're playing around, probably one of the best ways to learn new things
    If you had gone with a 5-8% stepover you would have noticed the reason immediately(unless your bit was an engraver or had a small flat on it).
    Like you money is tight here,but usually you do get what you pay for I've found(especially in BallNoses).
    I've used this guy several times and he's always been EXTREMELY prompt on shipping, Just bought several different angles on these engraving/scoring bits in 1/8" shank and have to say that for $4 they cut as clean as anything I've used this past year. Only used on Padauk/Purpleheart/Quilted/and Claro and only on buttons so far this week, but I like them and pretty cheap to play with.
    Keep playing! Looks good.
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw...+bits&_sacat=0
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I just received a 1/4" 30 degree scoring cutter from that same seller a couple days ago. It works great on Sintra, but 30 degrees is too steep of angle. I'm going to order some of his 45 degree bits and try them. The 30 was exactly what I was looking for, for cutting small letters in plastic, but it cut a little too deep and I did not want to have it clearance the bottom of the letters. I loved the quality of the 30 degree bit thou, it was head and shoulders above the china stuff. I'm just glad I found a use for the china bits I purchased. Honestly I think they would be good bits if they were sharpened. I have a diamond hone somewhere but have not been able to find it over last few days. The V-cutters come to a nice point and the point is right where it should be, they just don't seem to be sharp enough on the edges for good clean v-carving.
    Fred

PRTAlpha48x96

Yes Fred , Good to deal with, Kyocera 45's cut all the woods mentioned very well(first cut looks like Fuzzy Central, BUT second cut and the wood looks burnished!). I got 6 of the 45's last week, and just cleaned him out of the 1/8" 60's(should be here Monday). $4.50 and the next several sellers were selling the same thing for $10.50.
    Only using .1" of the tip right now so can't see using a high price .25" shank bit.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

that looks great Scott, I have exhausted my bit funds for this week anyway. Laughs, I'm sure he will have more instock by the time I'm ready to buy.
    Fred

PRTAlpha48x96

Fred this is how you learn and the forum is one of the best teachers and info .When 3-D carving oak isn't the best choice it's to stringy. Tight grain hardwoods will give the best results . Good luck Jeff
    Jeff King
    shopbot buddy BT-32
    P/C - 3.25 hp

The things I make may be for others ,
    but how I make them is for me . T. Konovaloff

I use Chinese bits all the time. 10 1/8th" ball nose bits for $20 is hard to beat. They absolutely have a place in my arsenal. There are times though where a really good quality bit is a must. For V-bits I have kinda taken a liking to CMT laser points. Usually get them from Amazon.

Jeff, I don't have much available to me at the moment in terms of materials. However I have to admit that I am not very knowledgeable about different kinds of woods. How do I learn about different types of woods and what works well for what? such as I really want to try doing some inlays, however I have no dark wood. Once money picks up again, I have a mill about 20 miles from me that has just about everything. I haven't been there in 20 years but I hear they are still in same place.

Kurt, I have ordered some of those 1/8 round nose, 5 packs I think and am awaiting delivery. I will take a look at the CMT laser points, I have had a few CMT bits in the past and seems I remember liking them.

PS.. I just looked up that mill, Armstrong Millworks Highland MI

looked at their wood list and I would not have a clue which woods to try and work with and what to make from them.

Domestic Woods:
    Alder 4/4 8/4
    White Ash 4/4 6/4 8/4 12/4
    Basswood 4/4 5/4 6/4 8/4 12/4 16/4
    Beech 4/4
    Birch 4/4 8/4
    Red Birch 4/4
    Sap Birch 4/4
    Butternut 4/4
    Aromatic Red Cedar 4/4
    Cherry 4/4 5/4 6/4 8/4 12/4
    Cypress 4/4 5/4 8/4
    Hickory 4/4 6/4 8/4
    Kentucky Coffee Tree 4/4
    Soft Maple 4/4 5/4 6/4 8/4 12/4
    Hard Maple 4/4 5/4 6/4 8/4 12/4
    Red Oak 4/4 5/4 6/4 8/4
    White Oak 4/4 5/4 6/4 8/4
    Sassafras 4/4
    Yellow Poplar 4/4 5/4 6/4 8/4 12/4 16/4
    #2 Common Sugar Pine 4/4 5/4 6/4 8/4
    Walnut 4/4 5/4 6/4 8/4 12/4
    Birdseye Maple 4/4
    Curly Birch 4/4 Subject to availablility
    Curly Hard Maple 4/4 Subject to availablility
    Curly Soft Maple 4/4 Subject to availablility
    Curly Cherry 4/4 Subject to availablility
    Curly Red Oak Subject to availablility
    Curly Hickory Subject to availablility
    Red Oak Rift 4/4 5/4 6/4 8/4
    White Oak Qtr Sawn 4/4 5/4 8/4
    White Oak Rift 4/4 5/4

Exotic Woods
    Benge 4/4
    Black Limba 4/4
    Bloodwood 4/4
    Brazilian Cherry 4/4 5/4 8/4
    Bubinga 4/4 8/4
    Canary Wood 4/4
    European Beech 4/4
    Figured Bubinga 8/4
    Goncalo Alves 4/4
    Iroko 4/4 8/4
    Lacewood 4/4 8/4
    Leopardwood/Brazilian 4/4
    African Mahogany 4/4 5/4 8/4 12/4
    Genuine Mahogany 4/4 6/4 8/4 12/4 16/4
    Philippine Mahogany 4/4 8/4 12/4
    Padauk 4/4 8/4
    Pau Amarella 4/4
    Pommele Bubinga 8/4
    Purple Heart 4/4 8/4
    Bolivian Rosewood 4/4
    Spanish Cedar 4/4
    Teak 4/4 8/4
    Wenge 4/4 8/4
    Zebrawood 4/4 8/4
    Fred

PRTAlpha48x96

11 years ago when I got my bot I got a set of eagle America V bits I still have all of them I have sharpened them a few times but they paid for themselves and are made in America not very expensive either.