Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lifting the Buddy...

Mike,

With the extra 1 1/2 " do you think a (#15102) 6" Rotary Indexing Head (for PRSalpha) would work on the Buddy? I'm really interested to increase the height for that. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Simops View Post
    OK got a chance this weekend to raise my Buddy gantry.

I didn't think I needed to start a new thread so just tacked my efforts to Andrews Thread.....hope you don't mind Andrew

As said above only raised it 1.5"for now as all I need. If I want more in the future it will be easy job to just add another 1.5"extrusion.

If interested attached my report on what and how I did mine....Its too big to attach here so I have uploaded it to my server.....click the link to download.

www.simflight.com.au/Raising the Gantry.pdf

Cheers
    Looks great Mike! I guess it is a cleaner install with the new pc under the main extrusion.

It is a little intimidating at first to start removing bolts etc but once you get going its not to bad

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Eustace View Post
    Very nice job Mike. Amazing what a difference 1 1/2 inches makes. What was the finished cost?
    Bob, if you want to know my cost here in Canada, it was:

$192.12 Canadian total to me.

That was for the extrusion, 4 pcs plates and screws/nuts plus freight.

The original freight charge I was quoted was too low, I reimbursed the company for the difference.

I dealt with this company in the province of Quebec - D.R. Design Inc. They carry the 8020 line of product.

SOmeone was asking me about the actual extrusion. It is just the heavier wall extrusion, 8020 - 15QE1530 1.5" x 3" Heavy Wall T-Slotted Extrusion

Bob,

2m of the 1515 extrusion cost me $80 (I'm sure the thinner walled version as used by SB would be cheaper but the 80:20 dealer here would need to order in from US). The joining plate with 4 bolts with T-nuts is $13 per plate. Personally now looking at it there is no requirement for the joining plates at all if you place the extrusion underneath the fences like I did......so all up $80 plus it cost me $25 freight.

Richard,

I have no experience with the indexer. But my gut feeling is if I was going to get one (certainly not now with the current exchange rate) I would add another 1.5" and do what Andrew has done.
    I only needed the 1.5" to help with some of the aluminium cutting jigs I have....they got close to the upper Z limit otherwise it was rare for me to have a Z height issue. With an indexer it would definitely help!

Andrew,

Yes I must say I was a little nervous dismantling the Buddy at first but it's really no issue. I guess having the Buddy delivered from the factory in one piece makes you reluctant to fiddle with it but once done it's definitely worth it! Whereas the table owners are used to it!

Cheers
    Buddy 48 Standard with 2.2 Hp Spindle with standard and 6' stick. Aspire 10.5
    2.2Hp universal 4 zone Vac Table