Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Y-axis and the invisible limit

Default Y-axis and the invisible limit

So I first got to use this machine about 3 years ago. It worked okay but was a little glitchy at times, but it is getting worse.

It will be moving along on the Y-axis and jam and stop. Although the file says it is still running. So it will get off by 12 inches or so on the Y-axis. It also has a tendency to keep right on moving when you are moving it with the keypad and then stop. You have to hit the e-stop to get it to stop.

Here are the things I have tried to no avail.

-turned off the automatic updates to the computer
    -grounded the router and dust hood and Y-Z car
    -tested the motor
    -tested the control cable
    -tested the gekko card
    -updated the firmware
    -reducing the cutting speed (and it will do it when I am not cutting anything)
    -tried looking at the comm rates (may need a little assistance here)

It is a PRS-S control box. It is running software 3.8.14 and firmware 176

Any help would be great.
    Thanks in advance.

Sounds mechanical to me. Have you removed the y-axis motor and them pushed the machine along the y-axis to see if it binds?

Colin, To test comms.
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/arc...p/t-18858.html

Had something similar to your Keypad moves just before a keyboard/a mouse/a USB hub died. Can you try swapping them out, or using a different USB port?
    Hope this helps.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Don't know where the mechanical bind can be. I have changed the motor on the Y-axis, and it will only stop sometimes. ie I can JY 48 and it will hit the hard stop grinding noise at around 6 or so, then I can stop it re-zero and move again and it doesn't hit it.

keypad issue, the keyboard is new. Also, I have 2: a wireless and a standard wire run. Doesn't seem to matter what I use.

Quote Originally Posted by cacampbell View Post
    Don't know where the mechanical bind can be. I have changed the motor on the Y-axis, and it will only stop sometimes. ie I can JY 48 and it will hit the hard stop grinding noise at around 6 or so, then I can stop it re-zero and move again and it doesn't hit it.

keypad issue, the keyboard is new. Also, I have 2: a wireless and a standard wire run. Doesn't seem to matter what I use.
    Sounds like you're chasing your tail here. Did you pull the motor? Does the machine move effortlessly? Try pushing from multiple angles to check for binding.

With the motor left off the machine run it and try to stop it by grasping the shaft. If it is overly easy to stop, then it's the motor or driver.

There are really only the two possibilities. mechanical or motor/driver. Narrow it down and then move deeper.

Tested the Communication and that appears normal (thanks for that link).

I also wanted to mention that we have put this computer on network because we appreciate the network connection and Dropbox for getting files that we want to cut to the machine. Is there any chance that this might be messing stuff up?

I wouldn't think a network connection would affect it, I have mine networked to my house (about 100ft away) and have no issues with it.

Yes it can. If for some reason, it tries to go for something on line/network or if another computer tries to access it, there can be a 'hiccup' in data flow. Also, if you run a file over the network instead of directly from the drive on the control computer, you risk the chance of interrupted data flow. Never run a file over a network or off a USB drive.

Where you speak of it stopping and the file keeps running, this sounds like a loss of connection to the controller. What was your packet et? Also, when running version 3.8.XX, if you are using a USB hub, try it without an see what the results are.
    Scott

Scott, you are right, I had just assumed that you would always copy it to the local system. I always assume stuff like that as I have been in the IT filed for 45 years and it is second nature to me. Never run a file that is not located on the local system, too many things can interfere with it.

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    What was your packet et? Also, when running version 3.8.XX, if you are using a USB hub, try it without an see what the results are.
    packet et? and no there is no USB hub