Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: slipping collet!!!

I just picked up a pair of ER25 Ball Bearing Collet nuts. They are supposed to have less vibration and a better hold. They are from Maritool. They seem to work just fine and if anything, I have had to back off on tightening as they lock down so smoothly that you don't realize that you've tightened a bit too much

Quote Originally Posted by feinddj View Post
    I just picked up a pair of ER25 Ball Bearing Collet nuts. .....
    Me too, but for ER20 and had it shipped from that place in the UK that was mentioned here in another thread. I also positively impressed so far. Not sure about better vibration, but I noticed a little better runout.

Hey thanks so much guy's. Makes me feel that I'm not paddling this boad all by myself.After changing the collet AND the bit and after 9hrs.48min of cutting we have a great looking frame with a leaf texture in the center. When I started this I had 6 hairs in my head now Im down to 3 and they are loose ha.
    Thanks again

Perry, I have had that happen. I use a PC router and was using a CMT extension and it fell out. Scared me a bit! I came to the conclusion that it just wasn't tight enough. I now use an offset wrench to tighten the PC collet. I keep both of these in a conversation only drawer for show and tell. You can see from the picture where it spiraled out at 12,000 RPM.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is it a true Spindle, or is it a Router?

I have seen with routers, where heat from wrong feed and speed rates will cause glazing on the collet from dust particles. This will prevent your cutter from being secured properly.
    Old ShopBot Guru

Brady, I don't think it has to cost an arm and a leg. I just cut a square hole in a standard er25 plate spanner and use a standard cheap automotive square drive torque wrench (I hold them together with rubber bands!). I tighten to about 2/3 of recommended which is still way more than what I used to do by hand and guesswork, so it doesn't have to be deathly accurate, and it works fine.

R.

Roger that Ralph. I'd have no trouble fabbing one out of mild or SS, but most wouldn't have a clue how to broach a 3/8 or 1/2" drive into it. These kids today...

-B
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Mike,
    I also recall a significant scare using a quick change collet on a router spindle.
    Only used it once and never again.
    Still have it sitting in a tool drawer.
    Old ShopBot Guru