Thread: lining up drawer fronts

Default lining up drawer fronts

Hi
    I have a small cabinet shop doing residential and commercial cabinets. I currently use Cabinet Parts Pro and VCarve Pro and am wondering if there are any other users out there that have a method, using their CNC, to create drilled holes in the backs of drawer fronts for easy attachment and perfect alignment . It would be like buying an IKEA drawer base where everything is predrilled and fits together perfectly. I don't think I can do this in CPP, but correct me if I am wrong. Or if anyone is using another program or method, I am very interested to hear. It seems like this is a bottleneck when I get to this part of the cabinet assembly. Any advice would be appreciated.
    thanks
    Brian

Brian,

I use eCabinets but the the results are the same with making cabinets.

Since I tend to work hard a grain matching the drawer fronts, I never know until I start work with the solid wood what will go where. Lots of times I glue up one wide panel that will allow me to cut all the drawer fronts from it and keep all the grain closely matched. Might be extra work but the results are excellent.

What I do is use eCabs to drill all the drawer front mounting holes in the drawer box fronts. I make these 5mm (allows for a little bit of wiggle room). I then position my drawer fronts and use panhead self-tapping screws to attach the drawer faces. I just use old fashion straight edges to ensure everything is lined up correctly.

I start with the bottom drawer and take all the other drawer boxes out of the cabinet. This allows me to use clamps to hold the drawer face to the drawer box while I drive the screws in. Then put in the next drawer up and repeat. Works great and the results are excellent. The only drilling I do is to drawer the pull holes. But this is easy with the jig I purchased.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.