Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on moving something

Default Advice on moving something

Ok here is what i have....i got a good deal on a stack of freshly cut clear poplar from 8" to 12" wide x1" thick. The problem is that it was stacked, stickered and banded.

It is 3' high X4' wide X8' long and is banded with metal bands. It needs to sit for at least a year to dry and i'd like to move it off the trailer and over to under the shed roof as one piece and put it on a 8' long pallet i have.

My problem is, i can't find anyone with a bobcat (that's how we loaded it in 5 min.) that will do it cheaper then what i paid for the wood! I just need to unload and move it 20 feet.
    I thought about a pallet jack but it has to go across dirt and grass and wondered if anyone else has had to "gorilla" something and what maybe they did?

I know what you're going to say...."in the end it will be cheaper and easier to unband it and take it piece by piece"....and you may be right but i'd like to keep it as one unit if i could
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Jack, I've moved big thinks (like a large hot tub) many times by using large pvc pipes. It depends on the bottom of the stack. If the support boards are going the short way and you need to move it the long way you might have to put some 4x4's going the other way so they can easily roll on the pvc. Not only do things slide easier but depending on the ground, you could lay down 4x4's for the pipe to roll on. Hope that helps
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

I'm with Joe. Roller and plywood. I'd use my dolly to grab one end and pull it, it's easier than pushing it around.
    It really takes almost now muscle at all, just patience.
    I've also never used PVC pipe, always steel.

We used to a lot of "turtle tracks" to move stuff across factory roofs. They're small tank tracks with a swiveling pad on top. You could probably rent them or borrow them at a mechanical shop somewhere or rent them.
    They're kind of a pain in the ass because you almost have to have a guy on every turtle track to keep them aiming the right direction. But you can put the whole world on those things and move it wherever you want.

Here's a pic. Same ones I used to keep in the rigging van.
    I checked, the 3 tons rent for about 25 bucks a day.

Jack your first instinct was correct. Pop the bands and move the stack. It will take less time than going to buy the pipe. Green popple will move during drying if you don't reband it securely.
    Bob

Once I have stacked the wood, I use 4 or 5 wide truck straps to cut down on any bowing, you will also need to re-tighten them often during the drying process to keep it snug.
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

You say it is on a trailer so I would back the trailer where you want the wood use a cherry picker to lift the wood and pull the trailer out lower the wood and be done with it

If you have a pallet jack, it can used over gravel and dirt quit easily. Get two sheets of cheap plywood (or OSB). Run the pallet jack to the end of one, place the other in front of it, repeat until your load is where you need it.

Rollers is another good suggestion - go with whichever is cheaper.

Jack Bite the bullet and hire the skid loader your time screwing around try to be cheap is going to cost you in the long run Besides which what's the value of the wood when it's dry You bought it cheap spend some money so it's worth something when you're done

Jack , get a tow truck with the extendable boom . Have moved quite a few things this way safes a lot of time and money. Jeff
    Jeff King
    shopbot buddy BT-32
    P/C - 3.25 hp

The things I make may be for others ,
    but how I make them is for me . T. Konovaloff

A twelve pack and some friends