Thread: grain matching

Default grain matching

I have a job I am doing in ecabs. It is grain matched fronts cut from sheets of bamboo. The grain is running horizontally so the problem I see happening is when there is a standard base next to a drawer base the grain will be off due to the thickness of the 3/8" cutter less the 1/8" space between the drawer fronts. The only work around I see is to tell ecabs all the bases are standard one drawer on top of one door and then split the door into drawer faces on the table saw once off the bot if indeed it needs to be a drawer base. The other option is to use a 1/8" or 3/16" cutter to cut out the faces with multiple passes. If anyone has any experience with this or an opinion I would welcome the advice.

Thanks
    Todd

Hey Todd,

What I do is what you outlined in your email. I make a large panel of my drawer face material then cut it into sections on the tablesaw making sure I keep the grain matched up. This makes perfectly matching drawer faces.

I don't use the CNC for any of my door, drawer face or faceframe work. Going "old school" enables me to keep all the grain and color matching the way I want it.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.