Thread: Putzing

Default Putzing

Furnace guy showed up for a major overhaul of my Buderus boiler, so couldn't really get into much after last cork cuts as there were things he kept needing. Found a scrap of Birdseye and made him an "expert" as he now knows more about the sensor modules than anyone else in my county
    He was kind of enthralled by the Desktop
    Lousy pic, because couldn't get a decent focus on the Tung Oil.
    I was testing out the $4 45degreeKyocera .125 engraving bit on tiny "Freestyle Script" in a pocket--took 2 passes to clean up as my Foredom decided to FRY itself this morning with a loud "SNAP" and the associated ozone smell
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I like to do little "thank you" type things, especially when someone fixes your furnace to give you heat, so that looks neat!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Jack! Just trying to continue the Illusion I'm a Nice Guy
    One thing I've learned about the tiny raised fonts(or intricate inlay males) with a steep angle bit is to go WAY slow on the initial cut or when it finishes up and goes to put the center of an "O" or recess in "P,R's" even .5IPS in Z is too fast and it can split the tiny sidewalls. Think my first pass was like .6,.3,17K and 11:07--speed pass was 1.6,1,18K.
    4% stepover left me a basically "no sand" finish except a light touch with 400G on top of letters to eliminate a few rogue fibers and soften it a hair.
    Oops--"Red sky in morning..."
    Take cover Jack!
    scott P.
    Maine

Scott-that's a cool idea. Little recognition goes a long way.

Scott was busy helping me on the phone while the furnace guy was there, too.
    We talked a long time, and I think we came up with "Hell, I don't know."
    The question was over .0008 of an inch. For 25 years if it was within an eighth, it was good enough.
    One time an old-timer told me he needed a piece of pipe cut, and the measurement he gave me was "two bricks and a mortar joint", literally. Worked out fine. Now I stress over .0008.

Scott, Hope the "Great Inlay Rescue" goes well
    Did you take any pics as you carved out the old inlay? I learned a lot as I carved away my messed up Curly Maple one.
    Maybe start another thread as quite a few guys are trying VCarved Inlay (still like the VInlay name
    I think a lot of guys would like to see the "Guts" of it, and not just the finished product--Could be wrong though.
    I think we learn more from the mistakes!
    Like your way of clamping upside down so excess glue flows to the waste- reinforces the waste also so less tearout when skimming off the male waste.
    That one "tip" was worth the time discovering "IDUNKNOW"
    scott P.
    Maine

No, I didn't take any pics, brother. I try to forget my mistakes as fast as possible so my head doesn't get too filled up. Very limited space.
    That ash you're afraid of, it carved like a champ. Not a single chip or fuzzy. It'll be my "white inlay" forever now.

It is neat the cool tricks we pick up along the way.
    The very first inlay I did was a black walnut base with very fine inlay. The grain being what it is sucked up all the glue, and sanding it out wrecked all my fine inlay.
    So I got a gluebot, some of those fancy neoprene brushes, and I do all the glue-ups upside-down now.
    I just did it so all the glue doesn't lay on the important parts. I never gave any thought to it fortifying the waste material until you just said it.

If I had any sense at all, I'd mask between every layer of inlay, too.
    I just haven't gotten around to sourcing this magical paint masking that I hear about all the time.

The whole inlay thing has certainly gotten easier and better since we've been doing all the talking about it. So has my indexing and a lot of other things.
    At least I'm good at it when I do it now. Or at least fair.

Still Putzing.
    Friend was sick, so was going to send some Opal chips that were too small to cut, but too nice to throw away, and a small Mexican Amethyst crystal to her---then found a Rosewood scrap. Opal is in crystal Bell Jar with rubber stopper. That size Forstner was too large and the dullest of the set and the next size down would have been a friction fit and if anybody tried to pull it out---Glycerine all over the place
    So nice to throw one of drillman1's $4 .125"EM's in and make it the exact depth and diameter I needed(never mind the crystal) and have almost a sand free finish in 10 minutes. Probably wouldn't have clamped and ruined my wrist and the piece too!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine