Thread: MDF Doors

Default MDF Doors

I know this isn't a fancy hardwood pc of fine furniture... lol but it might help someone else do a similar project.

In my shop as well as build new, I also do a lot of refinishing and restoration, and although I usually turn down refin on kitchen doors - a customer who had some lacquered MDF doors in decent shape (white) wanted them an off white colour and is adding a few new cabinets and needed some doors to match.

Not having the one piece formed router bit to do the faux panel, I went though my bits and with the choice of three - a pointed round over in two sizes, a 1/2" ball end bit and a 1/4" end mill - in combination would be very close.

In Aspire - I just drew the outlines, with the required measurements and ran the bits around them on the line - and at the required depth. Worked pretty darn good.

With my vacuum table, I threw on a 1/2 sheet of 3/4" MDF and cut everything out with 4 bit changes.

Even for rebating the back of the glass doors, I just placed then down on my vac table and put a few scraps of MDF around the perimeter to give some added security not to move. Works great! Couldnt do without that vac now..

Something like this the "old way" would have taken me longer to make up templates just to prepare for the job, VS cutting everything out on the bot including design time. I think I had a few hours total into it - with interruptions.

nice job !! I have a builder who requires paintable doors sometimes, I will have to get ready for his next order on my bot
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us

I use the raised panel bits from amana for my kitchen & bookcases.
    1 through 3 sheets of three quarter inch MDF in less than an hour, best money I ever spent
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

I think i did this with whiteside bits and it looks similar to yours and they came out pretty good
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

OH yes, if I were wanting to do this and do it fast, I would definitely buy a "dedicated" profile bit(s).

This was a one time thing for this customer - I just needed to make the 4 small glass doors, 3 larger ones and a single faux drawer bank.

Using a few round overs, a ball end mill and regular end mill and some semi-clever toolpathing.

I would like to invest in some better quality (was looking at the ROyce-Ayr made here in ON, Canada) faux RP bit sets, but they arent cheap and I havent gotten there yet in my spare time stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajcoholic View Post
    OH yes, if I were wanting to do this and do it fast, I would definitely buy a "dedicated" profile bit(s).

This was a one time thing for this customer - I just needed to make the 4 small glass doors, 3 larger ones and a single faux drawer bank.

Using a few round overs, a ball end mill and regular end mill and some semi-clever toolpathing.

I would like to invest in some better quality (was looking at the ROyce-Ayr made here in ON, Canada) faux RP bit sets, but they arent cheap and I havent gotten there yet in my spare time stuff.
    That is nice work, would you be willing to share the drawing for the toolpaths? Need some more doors for our shop and this would be a good experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by rseeley13 View Post
    That is nice work, would you be willing to share the drawing for the toolpaths? Need some more doors for our shop and this would be a good experiment.
    Yup,
    I just need to copy the files from my work computer next week. Didnt get this until tonight after I got home from work.

AJC