Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Missing Comm Return

Default Help with Missing Comm Return

Hi all,

Hopefully someone else has had this problem and can assist with solution.

I am having a problem with my Shopbot Buddy, in the middle of a cut the computer displays the "Missing Comm Return" error (computer has problem communicating with the bot), stops, displays error and to click OK to try to reconnect. Reconnect never works so next message is to exit application.

It is random, sometimes same cut, sometimes not. Other times a different cut.

After supposedly exiting, Shopbot application SB3 remains in memory with status of "Application Not Responding" and requires to reboot the computer to start clean again. Shopbot also has to be turned off and on to stop the router.

Upon reboot, XYZ coordinates have to be set again. Sometimes they don't change, usually XY vary more than Z does.

Computer is a Dell Latitude D620 running Windows XP

This morning I did 12 cuts and 3 of those had to be redone because of the error. I then did a cut that takes longer time and had the problem 4 more times in that single cut. I did an aircut of same cut, to test and that completed normally.

Someone told me the router could be creating electrical "noise". I did move away a couple of feet the cables going to the computer but did not fix the problem.

Any ideas?????

Luis,

I had that same issue and I had an older serial to USB card. I have seen many issues reported here concerning your issue. Mine were caused by turning on a Halogen light and the next time by turning on a Fluorescent Light, both were on the same circuit as the computer. May also be caused by your USB cable. Each time it happened to me I had to switch USB ports and have ShopBot find the port. Only once did hitting the reset button on the ShopBot controller work. I finally upgraded to the new communications card ($200) and no issues since. Good Luck.
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

I have an Alpha and had the same issues with my old laptop, which had (barely) the recommended ram and speeds. Spent 450 and bought a new mini tower with usb3.0 and more ports. Problem gone. Have not had a single comm error since the new computer.

David

I fought this for almost 2 years, and have great empathy for your circumstances. There are so many variables - I'll try to break down what you need to do:
    - Check grounds. ALL grounding points. Make sure you have no loops
    - Try using a USB hub, as well as eliminating. Mine runs way better w/out
    - Dust collection - dramatic improvement for me when I installed copper wire INSIDE the dust pick-up, and made a web of it at the inlet on the Kent dust shoe.
    - latest round of issues was caused by the deepest chasm you'll encounter as you try to eradicate the issue: WINDOWS

XP should be relatively clean running relative to Win7 that i'm running, but double check the power save settings, etc. I know, you've probably done all that. I did too. Then I found the action center flag had gone off, insisting on updating everything I previously told it not to. (fire walls, windows defender, etc.)As it flailed for an internet connection that wasn't there, it disrupted communications.

USB power saver. Yes, your friendly windows system, in it's endless pursuit of power saving will shut off USB connections arbitrarily in order to save your poor computer from being overtaxed by peripherals that charge, such as MP3 players, etc. When you go into power management, DIG DEEP. Specifically look for the fine print, such as "advanced settings". WIN7 has a litany of auto power management items that are completely unaffected by your general power management settings, each of which need to be individually switched on or off.

Good luck, and please, share the solution you find. Many of us suffer these issues and go through many levels of remedies before a fix.

Jeff

My shopbot was/is on a dedicated circuit, grounded to death, the whole wee-yoo.
    I actually read the manual and talked to shopbot a number of times because I was building my shop while waiting for the tool to arrive.
    The culprit?
    The USB hub. I got a new one from shopbot, no more problems.
    I've since done away with it completely when I got a new control laptop.
    No more problems at all, except for me being stupid.

I am still fighting this issue, have tried all that was suggested and so far... got worse.

Frank in support is not sure a new card would help, we'll see what comes next.

Going out on a limb here...but many laptops I know of are not grounded through the power supply (other than a desktop tower). That means all electromagnetic interference that comes in through the power supply (like switching noise from other equipment) will have to run through the USB cable shield to ground in the machine controller (assuming this section of the controller is grounded itself). Even a hub is usually on an isolated power supply.

Maybe you can try another direct ground to the laptop, e.g. using a spare USB connector or another convenient ground access.

I had quite a few comm issues in the past and went through a few steps to resolve:

1) Grounding inside DC hose as mentioned above - this seemed to help somewhat but not completely eliminate issues. Still recommend to do this to rule out static as the culprit.

2) Install a dedicated USB PCI card in my PC. Comm performance went way up, issues seemed to be reduced quite a bit.

3) Upgrade control card (communication card only, no drivers on my alpha) to the newest version. This was the best 200 dollars I've spent in a while. No issues in the last 20 or so jobs I've run now.

I think SB should start including a control PC with their systems going forward. Why not?

I am going to buy a 2x3 size machine hopefully by the middle of this year for my home shop. Shopbot is great. But Comm Errors are not. I am looking at all the options. Price is NOT the most Important on the list for such a small machine. I would prefer to have a 32" buddy on wheels. Or the new larger size SB desktop? If a control computer was supplied, I would think the Comm Error would go away?

Dave

I was t a camp shopbot and brought that up and was told that you could buy a computer setup by shopbot. You could check with them. All machines will have some glitches even the Biesse that I ran would have a comm error every now and then. Check out other forums and you will see this is not just a shopbot problem