Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Missing Comm Return

David, Just a personal opinion, but Many different users use control computer differently. Some use a design computer and then simply transfer their files to an older/slower/bare bones computer they already had to cut only. Some, like me(protos), will take a basic idea to the 'Bot, see how 1 item cuts, tweak/twist/try different bits/feeds/speeds, and then array/nest etc.. So the control computer is also sort of a design computer and we need the extra speed of a better computer. If you follow other forums you will see it's not a Shopbot only problem.
    It might be an option, but I'd hate to be the person to decide the computer specs for a "one size-fits all". "one size fits all" gloves and socks rarely fit Anyone perfectly
    my 2 cents(and probably worth 0
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 12.0*
    Maine

Even the computer that comes with the Yellow machines that are supposed to work have comm errors and that is with a so called industrial controller. The nice thing about the Shopbot is you can use a laptop not so with some of the others that use an internal card

Jerry / Scott,
    Those are good points. I am using my control computer for control only.

I haven't followed any other forums except SB and 3D Sign Forum. I have looked online at the yellow machine, but assumed Comm Errors weren't an issue. I definitely would have checked them out closer, as their factory is only 2 hrs from me.

I didn't know SB offered control computers, (but never asked). Will check with them today. I know Gary C. was offering some a while back.

I wasn't having communication errors regularly until I upgraded to 4G. It hasn't caused me to ruin something yet. But I have nicked up a few projects cause of it...... machine has done some of the grinding in middle of cuts for no reason. I don't post it cause I can usually search the forum and follow what others have done to try to fix.

Didn't mean to high jack thread, I will keep after it.

Dave

Jerry, I wouldn't throw to many rocks at the other color machines if you have not used one. I have not had a comm issue with that other operation system in the last 4 years.

Comm issues were here back in 08 when I first bought a shopbot. Shopbot had a decent product, but I wish they would find a more stable way to run them.
    Kenneth

Com issues are irritating, but even worse is when a Big, heavy, industrial machine with a dedicated controller can’t be repaired due to components becoming outdated. Back in another life, I trashed a large ROWE Press feed system because the controller components couldn’t be found. It didn’t help that the new owners of the company only wanted to sell new…
    Being able to hook up a new OTS computer to my bot is good! But because industry standards are implemented so many different ways by so many different manufacturers and used in so many different situations, with multiple OS’s, it’s amazing they work so well!
    A little grief that you’ll eventually work through is so much better than a proprietary dedicated system that can’t be fixed…
    SG

Quote Originally Posted by ken_rychlik View Post
    Jerry, I wouldn't throw to many rocks at the other color machines if you have not used one. I have not had a comm issue with that other operation system in the last 4 years.

Comm issues were here back in 08 when I first bought a shopbot. Shopbot had a decent product, but I wish they would find a more stable way to run them.

I wasn't throwing any rocks just facts. Like I said I ran a Biesse and got comm errors every so often or just missed steps. I am on a lot of different forums and see they all have missing comm errors. I have had 2 shopbots in 8 years and maybe had 3 comm errors while the machine was running. 2 times it was a power glitch and one time my fault when I was cleaning around the table and unplugged the usb cable

Just got a response from SB. They don't offer control computers.

I will get rid of the Control Computer running the Bot now (XP desktop) and replace with a Win 7 Laptop, Corei7, 4GB ram. Gonna reformat laptop and stripe it down. I will keep fingers crossed.
    Hopefully will have it done in a week. In the middle of redoing table base from the stringers up today and tomorrow.

Chinese spindle ordered and on the way....
    Fixin the old Bot up.

Dave

David…
    A laptop often introduces another set of problems due to power management. I’ve not run a SB on a win 7 laptop but I can say that win 8 tablet has multiple locations where power management is happening. On top of that, it appears that each App can choose to respect your settings or not!
    Here’s what I’m running under win 7 with zero com issues. (Note, the price is without memory, SS drive etc).
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/intel-nuc-next-unit-of-computing-kit-intel-celeron-black/1069008.p?id=1219465274561&skuId=1069008&ref=06&lo c=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=1069008&extensionType= pla:g&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!80819842999!g!!52599690919 &kpid=1069008&k_clickid=38773598-fab7-29c9-32b3-00003caf811e&kpid=1069008&lsft=ref:212,loc:1&ksid= 38773598-fab7-29c9-32b3-00003caf811e&ksprof_id=8&ksaffcode=9&ksdevice=c
    SG

Steve,
    Thank you for the info. Just checked it out. So I add Ram, HD, OS? I have actually never seen one of these devices. (not to sound dumb)

No com issues, that is what I am looking to get back to. I will have to read more into this setup.

What version of control software are you running? what year machine

I'm running 4x8 2001 PRT with SB 3.8.26 with 4G upgrade. Before 4g I rarely had lost steps or lost position. But now there are gremlins. When I Finally after all these years when to the new board I figured go right to the newest control software too?

It wasn't broke, but I wanted to fix it....

I run mine on a refurbished HP computer with 2 gigs of ram stripped down windows 7 no anti virus no updates not much but Windows 7 and Aspire. Have not had any comm errors on it. PRS Standard 4g