Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who needs chickens...

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    ...Thinned CA i see in Pic? ...
    The CA glue is indeed to seal some cracks. If not sealed, they tend to tear out and are difficult to fix after finish machining.

Also for the machining of the outside, especially when making such thin walls, all cracks and knots must be sealed very well or you will lose vacuum immediately and send the piece flying. In this case I even oil finished the inside first for additional leakage reduction. In spite of the large surface and thin wall I could keep 24" vacuum cutting the outside until the end.

Did you start your vacuum experiments already? I recommend a large vacuum gage in clear view as almost more important than the pump. Then you can see if something bad starts happening and turn off the machine before you ruin the work piece. I am even considering a vacuum switch connected to the E-stop but on my machine the E-stop stops hard and does not decelerate (as it should) and will lose steps. So got to think about how to put the machine in pause mode remotely.

Finished (danish oil and carnauba). Still need to make another 3 or 4 bowls for Christmas.

Yes, I cheated. I buffed and waxed it on the lathe.....

Came out beautiful G. , I'm sure they'll be treasured
    Used up the last of my carnauba pellets(was adding 10% by weight to beeswax) so researched Mothers, but didn't like they didn't list exact petroleum distillates used, so will probably stick with mineral oil and D-Limonene.
    No on Vac, keeps getting sidelined.(spent 2 hrs with Dad yesterday trying to convince him that "deep frying" Maple in 350F paraffin was a BAD idea, and much better to micro torch Maple for effect he wants, and THEN do the 170F paraffin dip/soak I've been using for buttons- Oh, test buttons soaking in water for last 24 hours- then on to Woolite washing tests).
    Thanks for Gauge tip , only a 2" dial, but made me rethink placement and will now mount gauge/main valve on top of Crate next to E-stop/spindle interlock key using a mounting block and the Crates connection bolts(1 Allen key bolt to mount/remove) as it will also help keep vac lines away from the Y-rail. Renesting so waste will be held as well as buttons to prevent bit chatter when waste loosens up.Hooking Pump into UPS but running out of "switched" outlets.
    Getting good tips as I get closer(Thanks David and George).
    Nice versatile program from "eggs" to "bowls" Congrats!!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    ...... researched Mothers, but didn't like they didn't list exact petroleum distillates .....
    MSDS Sheet Here. It is written about as harmless as I have seen an msds. I have no concern using it for bowls in occasional contact with fruit or bread. There is anyway only a very thin film on the wood and the naphtene solvent will evaporate immediately. But I would not use it for spoons or similar that people lick off.

Making your own wax is probably preferable. That paste was just simpler for me.

G. , Didn't mean to sound down on it! Reviews gave it absolute top rank(about what I expected from something you probably use on your "Toy" ) and only negatives I saw was that it was too "Old School" and required too much "elbow Grease" to remove when they put it on too thick, and not as easy to use as those with more "gunk" in them. Nowhere near a black mark as far as I'm concerned.
    Dad made 2 sales calls this trip, "hoighty-toighty" upscale shops whose customers go so far as to raise their own sheep/llamas/alpacas etc.. Their eyes glazed over on "hot dipped paraffin""mineral oil/paraffin wood butter", but when he dragged out the Celtics I buffed out Tuesday AM and said "Maine beeswax/food grade Coconut Oil/Lemon Oil wood butter" Their eyes lit back up and one asked if he sold THAT Hey give the customer what they want. Did find Carnauba at $57 for 8.8 pounds. Probably good sales point for those who know their waxes.
    Bowls really do look great!!
    scott P.
    Maine

G,
    did you cut that bowl on a lathe or on your bot? I gave up bowl turning because of the arthritis in my neck and shoulders. That looks beauitiful
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    G,
    did you cut that bowl on a lathe or on your bot? I gave up bowl turning because of the arthritis in my neck and shoulders. That looks beauitiful
    That is CNC cut (see previous page for some pics during machining). But I did use a vacuum chuck on the lathe to sand 600&1000 grit and buff the oil/wax finish. It is impossible to do that by hand with same quality.

I stopped wood turning also several years ago, partly because of tendonitis and partly because I just ran out of talent.

I was surprised how well this juniper (I believe it is the same as aromatic red cedar) can be polished. After 1000 grit and 0000 steel wool it had a nice shine already.

Faboulous having a few days off over the holidays. I even finished my Christmas present bowls on time. Here is the final yield:

- I made another bowl from juniper like the one in the earlier posts

- Baguette bread tray 24" x 3" from maple, lightly stained:

- Myrtle bowl 8" . Looks great after lot of sanding but not a good wood to machine, very stringy and lot of tiny tearout.

- small 5" bowl from very checked mulberry sapwood. It shows that even a piece of firewood can make a respectable bowl.

They're all Great G, But the Myrtle was definitely worth the work!
    See striped and burl maple all the time in peoples wood piles Enough to drive a guy nuts
    scott P.
    Maine

Thumbs up

beautiful !!! Did you write the tool path or are you using Aspire?
    Tim Lucas Custom Woodworks
    www.TLCW.us