Thread: Double sided tape?

Default Double sided tape?

I'm making a jig to do the roundover on those parts i'm making and i need to know the name/brand of a good doublestick tape that you've used? Something i can get at lowes...I've bought other stuff that was like carpet tape that was no good so i needed your advise on a good brand.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Jack, down around #25 on the thread they get into it a little bit.
    Been using Ace Hardware 2" heavy duty fiberglass reinforced for the buttons for a few months now and it seems to work very well, but no experience to compare it against.
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...hlight=buttons
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Default tape

You may want to tape items to a piece of laminated cabinet material.

The bottom side of a piece of 2x tape does not stick to Trupan or plain mdf very well.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

I'm going to say that not all double sided tape is created equal.
    I buy the stuff from Rockler. I use it to hold small stuff down on my plywood table for CNC work. it works fine. I also like it because it does not any glue residue on the wallets I engrave on the laser. Would I use it for wood turning? Hell no. If I want a very good 'stick um', I use the SpecTape available thru Woodcraft. I usually have to fight to get it off the lathe so while I am sure it would work on the CNC, it is simply overkill. Regular 3m double face tape is not very strong so stay away from it. I can't comment on carpet tape since I've never used it.
    Cheers!
    "Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"

I have used the ace tape Scott mentioned, it works really well, I also have some 1 1/2" carpet tape that works very well not quite as strong as the ace reinforced but good.

Try Craftsupply USA for the double that woodturners use. also, clamping it makes a huge difference.

David

Jack, This a one shot deal?
    If not then Curtis's note is very good advice. Surface needs to be dead flat, and to help release small thin parts like that cleanly I've taken to putting a single VERY thinned coat of either lacquer or dewaxed shellac on material and the backer boards(OSB) for buttons have been surfaced/sanded/3 coats lacquer so the tape come off clean and quick for reusing.
    One thing to consider if needed--I found sanding a Board to desired Grit on BOTH sides BEFORE I cut, was so much easier than individually sanding all the little pieces afterwards.
    I was also wondering if maybe using a pointed roundover on the top and then profiling the cut out all the way through, might save you some time flipping/indexing? Then you would only have to run the backside through the router, eliminating tabs/tearout and would cut way back on amount of tape needed.
    Good luck.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I'm a long time union carpenter so have run into a myriad of tapes by the pallet full.
    Best tape hands down is Tesa, you can stick a walrus to a wall with this stuff. It is so good that on jobsites it gets locked away along with power tools, guys are constantly trying to snatch up rolls, ignoring the other brands sitting around by the boxfull. Certain jobs it is mandatory to use only Tesa.

That said I don't know if its available at box stores or not. My jobs are all industrial and the company provides everything so I have never shopped for it. It is expensive, and it is actually too good for alot of jobs CNC related, ie hard to get it unstuck.
    One job I was at I was on a ramp having a smoke by a large roll off dumpster and glanced inside, I could not believe my eyes. Someone tossed out a box full of Tesa tape, one flap was up and I could see it was full. So I put out my smoke and went diving in a heartbeat ,,, That was a couple years ago and I still have a few rolls left out of 12.