Thread: Pull carts

Default Pull carts

Not really shop bot related but I thought I would pass this along.

I use a 4 wheel cart to pull product into shows to make it easier to set up.
    One of my tires had gotten low so tonight I took it off the trailer to air the tires up. I have a show Wednesday and will need it. The recommended tire pressure was 30 psi. I put 30 psi in the tire and was putting the valve cap back on. The tire blew all too pieces on me. Would recommend if you use these type of cart not to put the recommended pressure in them. I had gotten this one at Tractor supply...I lost a years growth out of this ...
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Well you might want to take along with you a change of shorts...just in case!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post
    Well you might want to take along with you a change of shorts...just in case!
    Already checked that. did take some aspirin, it caused my heart rate to go high for a while.. scared the sh out of me.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

Eugene , just sounds like you had a bad tire , under those condition's a tire shouldn't do that . With small tires like that I don't check pressure , just push down on the tire you should be able to push a small indentation on the top of the tire . A freak accident so I wouldn't worry , check other tires for dry rotting.
    Jeff
    Jeff King
    shopbot buddy BT-32
    P/C - 3.25 hp

The things I make may be for others ,
    but how I make them is for me . T. Konovaloff

Eugene, when tire pressure gets too low, the tire can unseat and go in where it contact ground---Which means it goes OUT somewhere else.
    Next time let all pressure out while cart is on side or upside down, make sure valve is straight, and add just a few psi. Go around rim and make sure bead is even, if it's out too much-pinch, and push in- and then pull out the low spot. Then add a little more and double check-low spots will generally "pop" into place--THEN give full pressure.
    When doing new tire and tube use baby powder on tube and inside tire so they can move without a much static friction.
    In 15 yrs of Bicycle shops, that problem alone probably paid our rent
    You should hear a 90-140psi tire let go!!!
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I do like Jeff says. Push on the top of the tire to see if you can push it down by hand. If so, put a little pressure in the tire until you can't push it down by hand. Beats experiencing what you had to just experience.

I know at truck tire shops, they put truck tires in a steel cage before inflating to pressure. Workers have been killed when a truck tire blew up. When I had a 37' class "A" diesel pusher RV, I always took it to a truck tire place to get the pressure checked. I didn't want to ruin my vacation by having a tire blow up and kill me. My family would have been pissed at me.....
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Gene…
    Your story brings back old memories! We lived near a service station. Whenever we saw a kid or even an adult, use the airline to fill bicycle tire, it was 50-50 whether or not they would explode the tire! We got where we didn’t even look when we heard a BANG! We knew what had happened…
    SG

Was at Bro-In-Laws service station awhile back and he was mounting a tire on a rim for a car when it exploded. The force of air unbuttoned every button on his shirt, had him a bit dazed for second. I was 20 feet away and could feel the blast of air.

Well since w're telling stories, once while driving down a 4 lane road while passing a semi in the right hand lane going like 60mph a tire blew and the force pushed me off the road and down into the gulley. Luckily i rode it back up onto the road. Scary!
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson