Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pricing structure advice needed

Default pricing structure advice needed

I mostly do stuff for myself on the bot but a local snowboard/skateboard company wants me to cut out racks for hanging the boards on and in one design i can cut 3 sets out of a 4x8 piece of 3/4" baltic birch
    which includes sanding all exposed edges. And the other is 5 sets per sheet but it's alot of exposed edges to sand.

Rather then charge by the hour, i'd like to charge per set but am not sure what a reasonable price per set would be? It would include the cutting out of the sets plus (?) minutes of edge sanding each piece. They wanted me to price it including material and without. Baltic birch plywood here is $50./sheet
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

I would price it with material only or labor only, not both ways. In my experience, giving them both results in the client demanding a lower price due to how much they can buy a sheet of ply at the big box store. If you can buy a sheet of 3/4 baltic birch for that, how much is it to have it delivered/go pick up, unloaded into your shop and paid for?

I encourage my clients to bring their own and let them know that I place a mark up on any lumber I have to go get or have delivered. This also avoids fluctuations in material price. I add 50 percent to the price I pay as a mark up. Then add your shop time, not just time on the machine, time to round over and sand. If they want to save money, tell them to sand it themselves.

David

I've never faired well when I break out the price. It just means they want to beat you up from every angle.

I don't do much custom work anymore, but when I did I generally gave them a solid fair price complete, materials and all.

The next thing that happens is they want to provide the material themselves. I tell them sure, I charge an extra $5/sheet fee and they have to deliver it ALL up front, I have to inspect it and if it fails my inspection they get it out of my shop. I got tired of receiving bargain Pringles brand plywood and gritty MDF with spoons and other shrapnel in it.

I agree, if they want to save money, let them sand and finish. I had a guy save $25/ea for those plyo exercise boxes I build by accepting them unfinished. Next time, he paid the $25 ea without hesitation... to tell the truth I'd rather he hadn't but he learned a lesson and I got paid what was fair.

/RB

Harry,
    If you look at the snowboard pic (one with 7 slots) he wants to pay $25.00/set that includes material, cutting and sanding.

3 sets per sheet=$75.00 minus cost of ply $50.00=$25.00 per sheet divided by 3=$8.00 each for cutting, sanding, going and buying, transporting material

The skateboard rack (5 sets per sheet) he'll pay $35.00 per set. More sanding for sure. I think these prices are way too low but i'm not sure.

Someone like you who has a production run knows how much material per house costs, cutting time, sanding time so you must know what your costs/labor per bathouse must be and can figure what your profit margin is.

I want them to be able to sell these and make a profit, but not at my expense.
    Words of Wisdom:
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

That is way too low.
    You have more then that in cad/cam time.
    Kyle Stapleton
    River Falls Renaissance Academy
    Math/Technology Education Teacher

PRS Alpha 96x60 2.2 hp spindle, Double Air drills, 6" indexer, Fein 5 zone vac table
    Desktop w/spindle
    Potter Pen
    Aspire 8.5, Creo 3.0

My price would be about $75 each for the 3 and $80 for the 5 as you have more sanding on one but less material. I have a minimum charge of $100 for a full sheet that goes up with the amount of cutting

Too low Jack, sanding will eat your lunch!
    I'd do one from scrap and finish all the way keeping time notes start to finish just to put your mind at ease that the guy isn't in the real world.
    Just a thought, but maybe do one sheet for him(His cost) and do your smoothest cut and give him the entire sheet tabs and all(probably a single pass 180G with a soft pad RO both sides of the sheet), and let him finish it once--MAY turn his thinking around.
    Watch your back--He sounds like one of those people you might Never please.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Jack, when you talk about sanding, are you talking about rounding over edges or actually sanding the edges? I find that if I cut right, there is no edge sanding. For rounding over edges I would use a router table not sandpaper.

I agree with everyone, that is way to low a price. Your cutting time (to get really good edges) is going to eat much more then what they think is a fair price. Add in edge milling, table clearing, CAM time, purchasing and retrieving material, etc.... I would be in the $95-$120 each range. Especially in the quantities they are wanting. If they wanted thousands of these, then the price would come way down.

I find it amusing when people want 100,000 quantity pricing but only want to order 100. I tell them NO, wrong pricing model. I inform them that they can order a container from China (cash up front) for the price they are wanting to pay and wait 90 to 120 days to get it. If it's wrong, to bad, they have to eat it. You pay for small quantity, custom work. It's that simple.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Don,
    when you talk about sanding, are you talking about rounding over edges or actually sanding the edges? I find that if I cut right, there is no edge sanding. For rounding over edges I would use a router table not sandpaper.

No, we agreed we weren't going to roundover the edges. I'm just talking about sanding the edges to knock down the fuzzies, just a quick pass with the sander.

To eliminate sanding tell me (specifically) what bit you would use, feeds/speeds to get a cleaner edge with no sanding? Mine isn't bad but this "old dog" can be taught "new tricks"

Scott,
    These are not guys looking to screw me, but just young guys who are starting out who i don't think have a good grasp of all the steps involved in manufacturing. Currently i think what they do is have a manufacturer in another state and they just add a certain markup to the product and when someone orders the mfg just dropships it to the customer. The net result is probably a fairly low profit margin.
    Words of Wisdom:
    -----------
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by myxpykalix View Post

To eliminate sanding tell me (specifically) what bit you would use, feeds/speeds to get a cleaner edge with no sanding? Mine isn't bad but this "old dog" can be taught "new tricks"
    I would use a 3/8" compression bit to get super edges.

I have a 2009 PRS Alpha. Climb cut leaving a 1/32" skin (I normally do this in 1 pass at 5.5 ips @12K rpm). Then conventional cut through the skin (4.5 ips @11K rpm). A little slower makes a cleaner cut. Climb cut will flex the bit away from the cut line. Conventional cutting 1/32" material will not flex the bit and will put you right on the line.

I have used this methods on hundreds of sheets of plywood to make cabinets and the cuts are always right on and ready to take straight to the edgebander. No sanding needed.

Make sure the bit is sharp. I use only new bits for cutting plywood. Just be careful. The edges will be sharp enough to cut yourself on. There shouldn't be any fuzzies left to sand. However at this point you might want to break the edges because they are so sharp. I use a piece of 150 grit sandpaper.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.