Thread: work flow management

Default work flow management

Hi guys, I was wondering what methods or softwares you use to keep track of sales orders, possible jobs, estimated jobs and so on. Just looking for a good way to keep track of the status of various projects. We use quickbooks pro for our accounting and would love a software that is compatible.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jim

I use Quickbooks Manufacturers edition. It tracks inventory, projects, amongst other things. I'm not sure what other differences there may be between Pro and Manufacturers edition - I don't have the payroll module (I'm a one man shop - there IS no payroll!)

I use quick book pro. Quick Book pro Tracks everything. To Track a project from start to finish use the employee file go to enter time then to enter time/single activity. does a good job of tracking time on a project. Just have each person log in when they start working on a job and log out.

I have tried other software, but keep coming back to quick books...

If you use a cpa have him/her to show you all the functions of quick books. It will do almost everything in the world. My cpa showed me all kinds of neat things i can do.
    www.tgdesigns.net
    eking1953@yahoo.com

HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS IS A LABORER.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS AND HEAD IS A CRAFTSMAN.
    HE WHO WORKS WITH HIS HANDS, HIS HEAD AND HIS HEART IS AN ARTIST.
    ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI

I use my brain. And post-it notes. And I tell people not to think twice about reminding me, because I'll probably forget since I won't be able to get to it for a few months.
    But mostly, I use my wife. She uses Quicken. And she's been a bookeeper/accountant/tax woman forever.
    God forbid I forget a receipt.

Jobs/bids/plans are in my binder above my bench. I keep everything. Saves a lot of time and grief 6 months later when someone decides to do what they decided not to do.
    Everything I generate on the computer gets saved, as well. But I do most job planning with a pencil until I get down to drawing it on the computer.

Quickbooks pro is a great software for ACCOUNTING purposes. Is maybe OK for a small shop for tracking. But it is a quirky program ( I just had to rebuild my shop's file yesterday afternoon. Would not let anyone access the data.) MOST small shops use one variation of QuickBooks or another... It can work ok for small shops, but Intuit is mostly an accounting software company- not project management, etc.

So the greater question becomes whether you are large enough to need an ERP and project management type software. There are a number of suites out there, but for medium sized shops, the best is rumored to be E2 by ShopTech. I am launching that suite as of 1 Jan... we will see how it goes. ( it is NOT cheap, but is cheaper than anything except accounting type programs like QuickBooks)

I use MY Invoices and Estimates for this.

Default Receipts

"But mostly, I use my wife. She uses Quicken. And she's been a bookeeper/accountant/tax woman forever.
    God forbid I forget a receipt." Scott, your wife must be my wife's long lost sister! I've been sent back for a receipt!! But she keeps it all together!
    Dick
    Dick
    Aspire 10.5

Thanks for all of your ideas. We will still need to consider what the best approach will be. Any more ideas would be welcome.
    Thanks again,
    -Jim