Thread: Carrying sheet goods..a tip!

Default Carrying sheet goods..a tip!

The standard way i used to just grab and go with sheet goods, plywood, drywall, ect was to take my left arm at my side, palm facing out and hook my fingers underneath while holding the top with my right arm. And you are carrying the plywood at 3 ft height using arm, shoulder and neck muscles.

Since i had a torn rotator cuff and torn bicep tendon surgery which couldn't be repaired i can hardly pick things up with my left arm. So i have to try to do things "the easy way".

I had a tie down strap and was looking at it and said I took the long strap that wraps around the cylinder off which left the part that had the attached strap that was about 2 foot long with a hook on it and the rachet handle.

I hooked the hook under the material at mid point, lifted with the handle and held the top close with the opposite arm.
    The length was just right to hold the sheet goods at "hang down" hand height so that all you were doing was using hand strength to hold the handle and not having to pick up the weight of the sheet goods. I carried it at about 6 inches off the ground.

You can go to Biglots and buy a set of these (the bigger ones) for like $15.00 the straps are about 1 1/2" wide and the handle is big enough to get all your fingers in.
    I carried 5 sheets of 3/4 birch plywood to the shop quite easily and i wasn't having to use any arm strength.
    So for all you old farts like me, do it the easy way...
    Words of Wisdom:
    “Words that sink into your ears are whispered…… not yelled”
    “The biggest trouble maker you’ll probably ever have to deal with, watches you from the mirror every morn’n”
    “The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth”
    -----------
    Just remember...when it's time for the hearse to pull up..there's no luggage rack on top!
    -----------
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it...Thomas Jefferson

Jack, they make drywall "panel carriers" that cost about 10 bucks.
    I threatened to make one when I just turned our upstairs loft into a 4th bedroom.
    I found out that I'm too old and broke down to handle 5/8" drywall all day. I've decided I'm a 1/2" drywall man from here on out.

A ratchet strap would wreck drywall, that's the only reason I mentioned it. I'd have to make softeners to keep from having to fix all the stuff I broke.
    For durable goods like we use on the bot, you have a great idea. I already have a whole bucket of rathchet straps and bungees, I'll give it a try.
    Thanks, brother!!!

I use a U channel of wood with two straight wheels bolted to either side of the channel. Put it on the ground and slide the ply off the truck onto the dolly. If you put it at the mid point, no lifting just balance the sheet. My shop is too narrow for a sheet goods cart.

David